Carpal Tunnel

woolybanana

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of carpal tunnel please; I have recurring ache running along the centre of the base of the thumb or my right hand for several days after mowing and even, less frequently, after a long session on the computer.

Or is it just a strain?

Hello Wooly

When I had Carpal Tunnel it was more a tingling sensation in the second and third fingers of my right hand.

One way to relieve the discomfort was to stretch the nerve that runs through the carpal tunnel. In a sense to pull it through the cartilage that is pinching the nerve. I was told by a physio to do this by standing up, putting my right arm out at right angles and twisting my hand around so my palm faced backwards and placing the front of my hand on a wall or door frame and moving my right shoulder gently in a clockwise direction, relaxing and repeating. Hope that makes sense. It worked wonders for me.

My wife's suggestion to stand on one leg and sing God Save the Queen while doing this was, frankly, unhelpful.

As was my neurosurgeon friend's suggestion to get him a bottle of Scotch and a sharp knife so he could cure the problem once and for all. I asked if the bottle of was for me, but no apparently it was to help him better cope with my whingeing :-O ...

IMHO, it's probably arthritis.

I recently did some emulsioning to meet a deadline and spent about 14 hours over 2 days, holding paint brush or roller and I, too, had pain in my thumb.  Now I know that I have some arthritis of both thumbs so I am guessing that yours is a similar pain; a sort of dull ache? 

Carpal tunnel syndrome for me manifested itself as severe pins and needles and then total numbness like an anaesthetic when carrying heavy shopping bags for more than 10 minutes.

I had an injection on one which didnt do a lot, the next stop was surgery so I just put up with it.

Its taken your posting to make me realise that its yet another health problem that I can add to list of things that have completely and 100% dissapeared since I lost weight and became athletic.

[quote user="mint"]IMHO, it's probably arthritis.[/quote]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Nimt, you are close to it, I think; the pain is on the median nerve which seems about right.[/quote]

I have to agree with Mint; especially in unsettled/hot or wet weather - all of which we have experienced in the past few days. Plays havoc with my arthritis.

Sue

I had carpel tunnel surgery to my right hand around 16 years ago. The symptoms were severe pins and needles in the whole hand and often a dead hand type feeling. Surgery was done under a local anaesthetic and wasn't too bad but I had my hand strapped up for two weeks after, which made some tasks difficult to do (like going to the toilet is the main one I recall).

Well, guys, many thanks all; I am happy to say I don't seem to have the numbness or pins and needles in any areas which matter these days, just the pain in the median nerve.

So, I shall try the ombilunmaddil paste recommended by my neighbour! He normally uses it on his dogs nuts in the breeding season when they have been overdoing it.

I too have had carpal tunnel problems in both hands. Mine was caused by carrying a heavy tool case when I was employed (I didn't say worked ?) for IBM for 18 years. Tingling in the 2nd and middle fingers and followed eventually by numbness. 2 ops and no problems since.

Wooly, have a look on the inside of your arm, just below the elbow. Apply some pressure with your thumb about 2" from the elbow on the muscle and see if you can find a tender spot. If/when you find it massage it with your thumb. It will hurt at first, but it may well sort your problem. as a matter of interest, bin there, done that and it worked for me.

Give it a whirl, it could well work for you too [8-|]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Well, guys, many thanks all; I am happy to say I don't seem to have the numbness or pins and needles in any areas which matter these days, just the pain in the median nerve.

So, I shall try the ombilunmaddil paste recommended by my neighbour! He normally uses it on his dogs nuts in the breeding season when they have been overdoing it.[/quote]

Dear Wools, please read the contra-indications before you start rubbing yourself too vigorously with that stuff.  You might end up with a BIGGER problem than your present one.

"He normally uses it on his dogs nuts in the breeding season when they have been overdoing it."

Oh? I missed that. If you got trouble with your nuts perhaps a 10mm open ended would be sufficient for one as you [6][6][6]

Try the trigger points before you start anything. It don't cost owt [8-|]

www.turner-white.com/pdf/hp_jul00_tinel.pdf

I had surgery on my left wrist back in the mid 80's, it was a day procedure under a full anaesthetic and I left the hospital the same afternoon with nothing but a plaster covering the stitches in the incision.

I had very little strength in the hand for a couple of weeks but no other adverse effects.

I suspect WB's problem might be RSI.

BTW it's the sh*te software italicising my text not me !