Power cut and medicines that need refrigeration

mogs

As a diabetic of long standing, my insulin is always in the fridge.

Yesterday our power went off at around 08.30 and was not restored until 10.30 this morning.

During one of my phone calls to EDF to ask what was happening, I mentioned that I needed to keep insulin cold in the fridge. The lady I spoke to said that if my doctor wrote to them to explain this then if a power cut should happen again then I would be on a special list to make sure I had a cold fridge. She didn't know what medication falls into this category so my question is, does anyone on the forum know?

Many thanks

I can't answer your question about the medicines, but if you often have power cuts it could be worthwhile buying a generator, petrol run.

We have frequent power cuts sometimes long, and we have 3 freezers full of expensive food, so bought a generator recently. 

Insulin will be OK for 28 days at room temperature (less than 30 deg) Just look on the website for your particular manufacturer but they all seem to say the same.

Far more dodgy is to try and keep it cool with ice blocks.  If you are not careful and it freezes then it will be instantly useless

[quote user="mogs"]I would be on a special list to make sure I had a cold fridge.[/quote]I have no idea what that means, special list to do what exactly, drop you off a gas fridge ?

As Pierre says, and as a simple Google search will tell you, insulin does not need to be kept chilled and as a diabetic of long standing I'm quite surprised that you don't know that.

My OH is also a diabetic of long standing and has been on insulin a number of times so I do have first hand knowledge of the topic.

Contrary to what a couple of you are saying, I have always been told that except for the insulin pen you are currently using, the unused insulin must be kept refrigerated.

I have no idea what "list" the EDF woman told me, hence the reason for asking the question here.

Thank you for the useful comments. I am in touch with my Diabetic Consultant and waiting to see what she comes up with.

I have an insulin pump, and when refilling the cartridge every 3 days why would they advise on removing the insulin FROM THE FRIDGE for a couple of hours before refilling the cartridge?

I'll leave it at that as I've obviously been advised differently to others.

As far as I can see, the advice to use insulin at room temperature is that apparently if it is too cold it can sting and be uncomfortable when injected as it is a protein which is slightly acidic when cold  (Mayo clinic). This advice was for injections, for pumps I have no idea but less critical I suppose as the medication has to pass through a tube next to your body and so would warm up anyway.

Any insulin dependent diabetic knows that unopened insulin should be stored in the fridge, as once removed it will only last a month or less. In the fridge it will last until the expiry date. It is only the phial, pen, or cartridge of insulin currently in use that should be at room temperature.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Information-for-parents/Diabetes-care/Insulin/Storing-insulin/

Thank you Hyacinth for your confirmation of what I already knew and stated, and the link for diabetes uk. It couldn't be much clearer than that.

Just wish some forum members who treat you like an idiot would think twice before being patronising!

Getting back to the OP, it's clear that keeping insulin continuously refrigerated is not necessary and in the very worst case while a prolonged power outage might compromise stored supplies they would still be good for 28 days and on that basis cannot possibly qualify for emergency action by EDF.