Rented property - what do you do about utilities

Petit Romarin

I assumed that when we rent out our house the utilities would be put in the name of the tenants but on reading some French forums there is talk about tenants reimbursing landlords for the cost of utilities.

Can someone advise whether or not we need to change them into the names of the tenants

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
Hello

I've never heard of the above before and certainly do not do this for any of my rentals which are all to french renters via a french agency who advised me on who pays for what.

I only pay tax fonciere, all other charges, water, elec, gas, rubbish collection are all in the tenants name paid directly

Panda

[quote user="phylisbide"]My understanding is that the tenant should pay for the usage of water and electricity but that the landlord pays the standing charges.[/quote]

As far as I am aware this only applies to some short-term gite rentals ie a 3 month winter let. I have never heard of this for a full-time rental of a house 'à l'année'; and is certainly not applicable to our rental of our home here in France. I'm sure our landlady would not be amused to learn we expected her to pay our standing charges. [;-)]

[quote user="Panda"]

I've never heard of the above before and certainly do not do this for

any of my rentals which are all to french renters via a french agency

who advised me on who pays for what.

I only pay tax fonciere, all other charges, water, elec, gas, rubbish

collection are all in the tenants name paid directly. [/quote]

Precisely our situation.

Sue