Recipes and advice for Cancer patients

NormanH

Thanks GG.  Yes, physios here seem to be less hands on than in the UK (Needed one once for a pulled achilles tendon, and she was hands on as well as giving me exercises to do at home, not in the clinic).  The re-education I had in the clinic was good, but when I went to the first physio here I found she left me to do the exercises (most of which had been given to me by the clinic anyhow) and used a machine.  In an hour's appt I got 10 mins massage.  The second one I used for the flare up did do more hands on, but even then she was happier to get me onto the bike! 

I think I am looking forward to my next massage, tomorrow!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have known some very good kinés but they were all in the maison de repos or réeducation but I was in for sometime after my operations.

Ones  I have met in town or the village well very much of the

"do half an hour on the exercise bike and I will come back and see you later and give you another exercise to do' variety.

I think the ones in the clinics are still young and fresh from their training, and even more importantly they are on a salary so they need to do a good job, whereas the ones who have started their own practice are paid by the number of patients they see.

on the other hand the best person I have had was an osteopath in Béziers who spent the full time with me individually, took a proper medical history and could even have prescribed a scanner. He  was very careful in his manipulation, but also very effective.

Unfortunately osteopaths are not reimbursed in France unless you have a very good Mutuelle , whereas for some reason kinés are..

I believe there are different types of kinés.  My present one says kiné masseuse on her plaque.  I had 3 others and only found my gem after the kind intervention of a friend who works as a receptionist at the cabinet.

Perhaps you should ask whether the kiné is also a qualified masseur.  From my experience, my present one does completely different massages than the previous three.  Also, when she is away and I had one of her colleagues, the colleague was just as useless as all the ones that went before.

What I would say is, never just hand an ordonnance over without taking a copy.  If you have a copy and you don't like the kiné you have, you can then find another one and still have an ordonnance to take with you.

[quote user="Grecian"]mint wrote:

Apparently, people without this good bacteria are now able to have, wait for it, a poo transplant from someone else!!!

Maybe putting spinach in a smoothie is not so bad after all, if that is the alternative.[:D]

[/quote]

Grecian, I am glad to see you are using the spinach in your more recent posts.  And here is why I think you have made absolutely the right choice:

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/15/diy-faecal-transplants-carry-risks-including-hiv-and-hepatitis-warn-experts[/url]

[:D]

[quote user="mint"]Well, Teapot, I was trying to persuade Grecian to have spinach in his smoothie and you'd remember how he hated anything green and "healthy"!

I believe it was the old tried and tested stick and carrot approach.

[/quote]

My concern is where you might stick the carrot [:D]

Noisette, mille mercis for that interesting video.  Coincidentally a French friend has just emailed me suggesting a visit to a "natural healer" who uses Bach floral remedies, etc.  I shall send her your video. She doesn't have cancer but she does have loads of other maladies.

I shall be getting some bio lemons tout de suite[:D]

[quote user="Judith"]Thanks Mint. Re the prescription, learnt that one the hard way too, usually I take copies, but that time, I forgot!!  Got another one from the wonderfully helpful surgeon's secretary though, who speaks perfect English (as he does also!).

[/quote]

Judith, meant to mention (though you probably know this already) that a prescription lasts a year and you normally get 30 sessions if the script doesn't mention the number.  This is from my French friend who works at a kiné's.

Also, should you need another ordonnance and you are not due to see the surgeon, your MT can give you one.

Hope you are now getting the massages that you need[:)]

THanks Mint, they seems to have no of seances on them, but I;ve never needed the full amount, which is good.  THis time we are working on several different areas, and it is not prescribed, and certainly not picked up by the mutuelle, but I can survive that ... have done without a mutuelle until last year for my hip when I knew it would be expensive without (and I certianly got my money's worth). 

Seeing the surgeon tomorrow for the annual check up, I have a short list of questions and will know more then.  But the sports massage in only two sessions has certainly worked well for me ...

• 6 months later...
Here is the tasty salmon cake from Norman's original link:

[url]http://www.mieuxdansmonassietteaveclecancer.fr/recettes/cake-saumon-mozzarella/[/url]

Fortunately for the majority of us, you don't have to have cancer to enjoy this[:)]

I made it for apéros a couple of weeks ago and it was delish.  What I would change is to put in some salt and possibly be a bit more generous with the basil.  This is a large cake and goes round several people if served as a "nibble" together with other things for an apéro.

So, it's tasty and it does you good.....plus it's a very "French" thing to make and your French friends will eat it all up, no problem!