Why not XP, guyk?

I have just noted in another thread, the recommendation from guyk, that it is not worth updating to XP, and I wonder why?
I have just about saved up enough pennies to upgrade or replace my creaking PC hardware, currently on Windows 98, and have been recommended by others more knowledgeable than I (easy!)to get the smallest possible PC configuration capable of running XP home edition. Now I am confused.
I am a light user of the PC, and right now have only used 2Gb of my hard disc, but I would like it to "go faster" (we are not able to get broadband) both off line and on line, and not to "fall over" as often as it is now doing.
To XP or not to XP that is the question? If not, then what?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all

I am sorry to have taken so long to answer.

Why not XP? The answer is personal preference, (ie I prefer to spend my money on things other than upgrading my PC).

If you use your PC for email, browsing, simple documents and the like, you *do* need the fastest internet connection you can get/afford, but you do *not* need a PC that runs the latest office suite and games.

If games are your thing, you will undoubtedly require a fast processor, motherboard and graphics card - these things cost a lot of money and are simply not worth it if you are not going to use them.

I use Windows 98 on a five year-old PC. I often work from home and find that in many areas my machine is actually faster in everyday use than my colleagues' latest whizz-bang tablet computers. Why? Because I use simple software that is not bloated with redundant features. This also means that the PC is immune to many of the virii and worms that are becoming more prevalent by the day.

For anyone interested, I have written a page looking at this in more detail http://www.antiphon.co.uk/kirkwood/software.htm. Most usefully, the page has links to the software that I have found to follow the "simpler is better" rule.

I may be stuck in the mud technologically, but if I can do what I want to do using cheap (and in most cases free), simple and well-written software, then that's what I'll continue to do.

Hope that helps

guyk

Having used every version of windows, on upteen pc configurations, as an IT manager, I have no hesitation in saying go to XP. It has an excellent user interface, is quick and stable, and makes using digital photos, the web, and multimedia easy. Don't try and fight the war by installing older ancilleries, and get as much memory available as you can.

XP is much maligned, unfairly in my opinion, OK it is not perfect, but little in IT is, macs included.

Simon