XP/IE Service pack 2 problem

Has anyone else found a problem with their computer after having installed Microsoft's service pack 2?

I have an ISDN connection using an Olitec adaptor which crashes within 30 - 40 seconds of going online. Downloading and installing the latest driver from the Olitec site has had no effect whatsoever and the only cure seems to be to roll back to the pre-installation date, which means of course I'm not 'benefiting' from the service pack improvements like its higher level of hack/virus security. I'm also plagued by update reminders trying to get me to download the service pack.

Anyone else similarly affected? I've tried both a disc and a downloaded version of the service pack and they're both as bad as each other.

paul 

I have not had problems with XP Service Pack 2 though for almost 1 year had major problems with Olitec drivers for a PSTN dial-up modem.

They would work fine for a few days then would "lock". The computer would continue to work but the dial-up would stay either connected or disconnected and nothing you could do would change it. Doing an orderly computer shut-down would say about several processed that would not exit and you had to "End Now" on them. After that the computer would stay at the "Saving Settings" stage until you powered-off the computer (in my case by pressing and holding the power key).

It got to be such a nuisance that I purchased a new (different) modem which worked fine (so I think it may easily have been the Olitec drivers).

I had downloaded the latest drivers from Olitec's site a couple of times but it didn't solve anything.

I've now got an new modem as well as ADSL so have not had problems for several months.

[quote]Has anyone else found a problem with their computer after having installed Microsoft's service pack 2? I have an ISDN connection using an Olitec adaptor which crashes within 30 - 40 seconds of going ...[/quote]

Yup serious problems.............. it totaly screwed up my network.................a few programs started rebooting the machine.................. its hateful

Have now deinstalled it and programs run fine but my network is knackered and have just managed to botch it all together

If its hacking and stuff your worried about better to try one of the free firewalls (be wary of zonealarm as it screws up your ability to check your hardrives health).

As a slight aside to the topic here, I installed SP2 because I wanted the Firewall (having had too many problems with Norton Personal Firewall) - and I ended up using zone Alarm anyway.

However, several months ago (pre SP2) I did a "Windows Update" and found it enabled something to start auto-dialling out on my PSTN connection (something I never allow a process to do - always manual).  I investigated and could not find out who was doing this, but it definitely started after doing the Window Update.  There seemed a potential security issue here so I telephoned Microsoft who were totally uninterested and told me a) All Windows Updates are totally at the risk of the user and b) to call IBM (my PC manufacturer).  IBM's response was that they do not suggest Windows Updates as they tend to break things a lot of the time (a bit of the "if it aint broke don't fix it").

To me it becomes a difficult question - all these security scares that may or may not affect me and yet the fix may be worse than the problem.  At least with the "security risk" my computer works yet after an update there is a chance it wont work any more.  What is the correct thing to do !!

However, several months ago (pre SP2) I did a "Windows Update" and found it enabled something to start auto-dialling out on my PSTN connection (something I never allow a process to do - always manual). 

I found windows auto-update on one of the network computers always tried doing that so I just disabled it.

The trouble with zonealarm can happen if your running XP with NTFS drives where it prevents you from checking the hard drive for errors etc. Other than that I found zonealarm to be very good.

Also the firewall in windows does not (as far as I can tell) show you any instant information on incoming/outgoing packets unless you check the logs.

You have to realise that no-matter what update you get there will always be the odd problems anyway, when you consider most hackers are ex-microsoft employees

I'm using the free "limited" Zone Alarm (at the moment).

I'm not sure if I have a problem with ZoneAlarm stopping hard disk checks.  I have an NTFS drive and can check the disk (with surface scan enabled).  Phases 1 to 4 run no problem, but the surface scan seems to complete far too quickly - though no errors are reported.

When using windows Firewall virtually nothing got logged (though I did not explore options for logging details).  However, when I 1st installed Zone Alarm it seemed to be stopping loads of things.  On occasions it was actually a Wanadoo server trying to get into my computer.  I don't know if this is ZoneAlarm being better or just logging more.

When my Norton virus subscriptions run out I may change to a fuller version of Zone alarm that includes virus checking.  I am actually quite concerned about Anti-virus software after MacAfee "took-out" a Windows 2000 computer of mine when 1st installed (due to an issue MacAfee knew about).  If anybody has experience of the ZoneAlarm version(s) that include virus checking comments would be much appreciated.

[quote]I'm using the free "limited" Zone Alarm (at the moment). I'm not sure if I have a problem with ZoneAlarm stopping hard disk checks. I have an NTFS drive and can check the disk (with surface sca...[/quote]

It may have been whatever version I was running. I only discovered what the problem was via microsoft hardware forum.

Most of the incoming traffic is nothing to worry about, but there are certain programs that search for specified data numbers on specific ports (sorry cannot remember the digits) that are actually looking for an inadvertainly installed "Back door" such as Back orifice which will act as a server allowing full access to your computer. So I do think it is worth investing in something like zonealarm.

It's also worth checking out some of the "adaware" software which *may* detect some of these backdoors although their main aim is finding trackers etc (as in cookies) which can transmit info about you and your machine (Big Brother).

Try ad-aware 6 (Freeish) and xsoftspy.

You'll be amazed at what's happening in your computer!

Sorry to disagree with some but I would go ahead and install the service pack.

As pointed out the dialling is probably something to do with the settings of the ‘auto windows update’ feature which you can either turn off or after installing SP2 you can tailor much better to work when you need it to like only check when online and then to inform you before downloading.

Manufactures like IBM and Dell often ‘outsource’ their help desks to other companies. Because the PC manufacturer gives you a OEM version of the software for which he pays far, far less for in comparison than you would buying it from in a shop, he has to support it, not the software manufacturer. It’s all part of the deal. Now to be honest if the helpdesk doesn’t know much about a service Pack but they do know that the PC worked fine when it left the factory with the original software then they will tell you don’t put on the service pack, it could mean extra work for them.

Ah but wait till it does go wrong because you have been hacked because you didn’t install the SP, they will say tough, why didn’t you keep your operating system up to date.

I have said this before. It is a software/hardware house responsibility to ensure that their product works with the current version of platform (operating system) on which it was designed to run. Microsoft for a fact send copies of all it’s SP’s and patches to leading software/hardware houses and partners prior to shipping for evaluation and to offer them the opportunity of creating any patches and/or drivers their products might require.

So I am afraid that software not working is a poor excuse for not installing the latest patches as you should always check to ensure you have the latest patches and drivers for your software/hardware before installing the SP.

With relationship to free software like firewalls etc. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Often these programs gather information and send it to a third party, nothing nasty just information on your habits for marketing use. Now a few will jump up and say ‘Not true dummy’ but then how would they know if it was or it wasn’t when it’s job is to stop this from happening it’s highly unlikely to report it’s self. In the 80’s a very large mini computer manufacturer got caught fiddling speed tests on it’s processors. Instead of running a long calculation it just counted time then came back with the answer, people thought it was really quick.

Companies that sell products spend money on R&D, loads of it. Companies who give stuff away can’t so they will always be behind. It’s that simple, it’s all about money, money first, customer second, which is one of the reasons I left the industry after 20 years.

With relationship to free software like firewalls etc. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Often these programs gather information and send it to a third party, nothing nasty just information on your habits for marketing use.

Yup read my post.

I would also agree with installing the latest update although if it causes you problems you have to do what you gotta do

One thing I should have pointed out, it's best not to run 2 firewalls at once (as in windows & a 3rd party firewall) as this can cause problems and slow downs.

• 2 weeks later...

Not wishing to disagree for the sake of it but and only post this for an interesting aside to the thread. Microsoft are of course a large company who do spend much cash on R and D

Mention has been made of the smaller companies 3rd party software e.t.c compatibility probs and this is perfectly true.

HOWEVER Microsoft as is typical of them have released SP2 with many compatibility issues. The Speedtouch USB DSL Modem is the most common modem in use today for ADSL yet there are 'issues' for some ( not all) of its users with SP2 even if using the latest drivers . 

Internet explorer fails to work with many cookie based forums yet just about any other browser does. I get more e-mails to my forum asking why peeps can't login and post ( Explorer users of course) than any other tech type e-mails and I'm not alone in that one.

Isn't this typical of Microsoft ?  I do my best to avoid them but then that's not easy is it

Just a thought.

Just discovered this particular french forum by the way,

well helpfull peeps on it

[quote]"You have to realise that no-matter what update you get there will always be the odd problems anyway, when you consider most hackers are ex-microsoft employees"Just wondering where you got this little...[/quote]

God. I do like a laugh on a Sunday morning. Most "Hackers" are to young to be employed by anyone, yet alone Microsoft.

Mind you. I would like to get hold of the ****** who "spoofed" my domain name. 250 returns a day is taking the pssi. I think breaking of arms and legs is called for. The ***** more then likely comes from a home where "slapping" is a naughty word.

"Most "Hackers" are to young to be employed by anyone, yet alone Microsoft"

Yet another little snippet I'd like to know the source of..

They both have the aroma of freshly squeezed bullsh|t, but I will grant you that it is a common misconception that all "hackers" are spotty 15/16 year olds with an aol client and a text document on "el173 hAx0ri|\|g"..

I'm not going to bother going into the reasons why you are both wrong to term these people hackers, suffice to say that your information & sources are incorrect and I would suggest that in future you take the time to do some reasearch before stereotyping.

From talking to friends it appears Xp SP2 either runs ok or is a total disaster. I've tried to install it three time, each time with a fresh download, Anti-Virus off, Alarm Zone disabled etc etc and it screws my system every time. No mouse, no internet, system won't shut down, the list goes on.

If you have a good Anti-Virus and Firewall I see no advantage in SP2 anyway so I've give up trying to fix Microsofts problem. If car manufacturers for example sold a product as bad as some programs they'ed find themselves in court double quick under consumer law so how come software companies get away with it?

[quote]"Most "Hackers" are to young to be employed by anyone, yet alone Microsoft"Yet another little snippet I'd like to know the source of..They both have the aroma of freshly squeezed bullsh|t, but I will ...[/quote]

Yes. That's right Tim. I don't really want a lecture into the various generic differences into the term "Hacker".

Just wondering where you got this little snippet from?

From 30 years of experience

I'm not going to bother going into the reasons why you are both wrong to term these people hackers, suffice to say that your information & sources are incorrect and I would suggest that in future you take the time to do some reasearch before stereotyping.

Research??? god sake I was in at the begining. Stereotyping??? who exactly???? Microsoft software developers?? don't make me laugh

Boghound: Hacking has been going on for donkeys years....... nowt to do with spotty kids.

Moderators Hat ON

Ok guys, this thread has nothing to do with who 'hackers' are or are not so please keep within the boundaries of the original post. If you wish to debate the matter further then do it amongst yourselves and not in the forum.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Moderators Hat OFF