Firefox browser

I've just downloaded this and started to use it today. Very impressed - and, at last, I have access to my forum control panel from my office desk PC.

Was it here I first read about Firefox? I can't remember, but if anyone wants to know, you get it with an easy free download from http://www.mozilla.org/

Patrick

I agree. This lot have been pretty hopeless for the last few years but have finally produced something definitely worth trying for Windows users. I like the tabbed browsing a lot. I do find it slower than IE in several respects though (startup and page rendering).

I usually use Camino on OS X as it's a lot faster then Safari, but I also run firefox as there are so many neat plugins now. One of the most 'useful' when following up a google search is bugmenot, but there's usually nothing for the developer sites I look at!

I'm fond of FireFox, it is quick and fairly slick, but it does have issues on certain websites.  I think as a general point, this is where Microsoft are able to score points, because as troubled as IE is, most websites are written with that software in mind.  I get annoyed very quickly if I am using a browser that fails on a website and I have to switch to IE to get it up (oooerr!).  I can't see things changing that quickly, but at least some software houses are now producing better alternatives.

Regards

Simon

"I've just downloaded this and started to use it today. Very impressed - and, at last, I have access to my forum control panel from my office desk PC"

Patrick
As a matter of interest, do you also see the formatting controls when you send a reply etc.

Struggling to get full functionallity when I try many different browsers.  My own attempt with Firefox and this forum shows that most things work but not the formatting.

I have been using Firefox for a while now and find it to be very good, there are some very useful add ons available including a pop up translator which is very useful

However it seems to struggle with a lot of forum software, LF included, I cannot get any formating when I come to post a reply, no emoticons, text tools etc and when I wanted to load some pictures there was no facility to do so, I had to log back in using IE to do so. Has any other user got that issue sorted out?

Basically a good browser and worth the effort to install.

quote:

<< However it seems to struggle with a lot of forum software, LF included, I cannot get any formating when I come to post a reply, no emoticons, text tools etc and when I wanted to load some pictures there was no facility to do so, I had to log back in using IE to do so. Has any other user got that issue sorted out? >>

Nope. I've used mozilla and now the firefox version for several years. I have no formatting functionality on LF exactly as you describe; I can only put in basic smilies. On other sites - Total France being an obvious comparison - I have all the formatting options available.

I'm content to live with it - I wouldn't be bothering with changing text sizes, colours etc anyway.

After ongoing problems with IE, I loaded OPERA browser a year or so ago and recently tried FIREFOX. OPERA has beenand is fast, stable and bug free and just that bit faster than MOZILLA and I ,personally, prefer the ability to easily open additional windows for each page and the look of the interface.

"Patrick
As a matter of interest, do you also see the formatting controls when you send a reply etc."
No, George, I'm afraid I don't. But at least I can get the Control Panel."

Thanks Patrick
Just interested to see what works in each of the browsers - oddly enough with an identical setup at work IE is ok, but can't seem to recreate the same at home.  Just have to decide which will be more important at the time.  Starting to wonder if its anything to do with XP being an upgrade at home rather than fresh install - apart from ISP, only other difference I can think of.   

I bought a magazine to look at on the ferry returning to France a couple of days ago, which had a review of Firefox and included it on the cover CD so I might give it a go. What the review particularly liked was that you can transfer all your IE settings etc, and you can look at multiple websites in a single window. Other things the review liked were RSS feeds (who they?), better search interface than IE, built-in download manager (sounds useful for me) and better security.

The problem, it says, is that it doesn't work with all websites, particularly secure banking sites and sites with embedded video.

As this forum is based on Microsoft code I'm not surprised that this is one of the sites where Firefox doesn't perform 100%. But as you can keep IE (this forum works fine with my French IE6 and Win XP SP2) it looks as if it's possible to have the best of both worlds.

Having installed Firefox, I have to say I don't like it very much. It seems very slow to load graphics on this site, and I don't get the smileys and formatting options, or the spell check. And I get a security warning if I try to post.

Like Leschenauds I've been using opera for many years. It is very fast, small, unbloated and has the best (imho) email client available. (If you have ever "lost" messages that are buried in outlook folders, you will really appreciate this).

opera is available from http://www.opera.com/