So how much is this French TV licence?

Isn`t it now paid through Tax habitation bill? We received a letter last week asking us only to fill in the tear off section at the bottom IF we DONT have a televisoin receptor in the home, thus I assume those that fill this in will receive a bill without this charge. Mrs O

Quite right Mrs O but of course it still has to be paid, and still costs 116E.

I believe those who say on the tax forms that they do not have a TV can also expect a visit from somebody who will be checking up on this fact.

[quote]Quite right Mrs O but of course it still has to be paid, and still costs 116E. I believe those who say on the tax forms that they do not have a TV can also expect a visit from somebody who will be ch...[/quote]

Does this mean that the assumption is now that eveyone has a TV unless you notify the authorities?

I assume that in future when you buy a house the Notaire will have to ask the question. This letter we all received must just be a once only.

Paul

The question is asked now on your French tax return. The assumption is that you do have a TV and you have to state if you do not. Bearing in mind that nearly everybody has a TV then the numbers remaining that could  be checked must be quite small I would have thought.

What happens if you are not tax resident and do not complete a return I don't know, but there are enough people in that position for there to be a way of paying it direct unless they French authorities are prepared to lose the revenue, which I doubt!

.......Hence the form currently being distributed (exclusively to maisons secondaire??)  which asks if you have a TV. This will catch people whio don't fill in a tax form, allowing them to collect via the taxe d'hab.

The way the system is being introduced will automatically maximise revenue because in the absence of a response the charge will be levied. So its then down to the individual to prove that they are not liable, either on the grounds of no TV, or by showing they have a licence at their main residence.