Hi,
Anyone received their new 23.50 viewing cards yet? and if so, any problems in setting them up?
I have a neighbour who is reluctant to go through the hoops of getting a new card because he's heard that "you need to phone them up to authorise the card" I said I didn't think so unless there was a problem. Surely they are like the old cards in that if you leave them long enough (o/night in one case I remember) they authorise themselves?

Unless you know differently!
paul

>Hi,
>Anyone received their new 23.50 viewing
>cards yet? and if so,
>any problems in setting them
>up?
>I have a neighbour who is
>reluctant to go through the
>hoops of getting a new
>card because he's heard that
>"you need to phone them
>up to authorise the card"
>I said I didn't think
>so unless there was a
>problem. Surely they are like
>the old cards in that
>if you leave them long
>enough (o/night in one case
>I remember) they authorise themselves?
>
>
>Unless you know differently!
>paul

Hi,

In our case, we bought 2 new cards on the net.

When they arrived here, via address in the UK, we simply replaced the old cards with the new ones et voila, both worked immediately. No phoning or anything, was that lucky or normal ?

Miki

In theory *new* cards (which can only be ordered by phone, not on the net) will require activation by phone.

*Replacement* cards (the ones available on the webpage and also by phone) will not need activation.

This is how it always used to work, the only real change being that replacement cards can now be ordered on the net (until December).

Received ours this morning forwarded by a friend in the UK. Plugged it in and nothing on ITV, Ch4 and Ch5, not even the banner saying that the card was not authorised as we used to get. What I should have done is just have left it as it would have sorted itself out no doubt in a few hours to a day or two.

Being somewhat impatient I decided to do a software download forgetting that on our set up the message about the download only comes up if the SCART lead and not the RF one is connecting the box to the TV. On seeing nothing on the screen, when all the lights came on the box having switched it back on whilst holding in the backup button, panic then set in. Having tried this twice with herself becoming somewhat tense I remembered about the SCART lead and found all was well. The message is if you don't know what you are doing, as I clearly did not, shove the card in and wait a bit!...................John loosing it in Dept 79

Hi-our replacement card took ages to arrive from Uk but it worked as soon as I popped it in the machine-easy peasy .No phone calls needed,not even a wait till it was activated-hurray,technology that even I can manage!

• 1 year later...

[quote]Can anyone supply the relevant phone number? Penny[/quote]

Hi Penny,

We have just got a sky card for our place in the Vendee. You need to contact Freesat Sky on 0870-6061111. The card costs £20.00 & will be sent to a UK address (takes about 4 days), you will need to put it into the digi box & phone for activation. This card allows you to recieve all free to air channels (incl BBC 1,2,3,4 ITV1,2,3, Channel 4,5) & radio stations. The card is valid for between 3 to 5 years.

Marc

[quote]Hi Penny, We have just got a sky card for our place in the Vendee. You need to contact Freesat Sky on 0870-6061111. The card costs £20.00 & will be sent to a UK address (takes about 4 days), you ...[/quote]

Good grief Marc, where did you dredge this thread from? I started it back in the dark ages; so long ago I think I was in Black & White!

paul

[quote]Good grief Marc, where did you dredge this thread from? I started it back in the dark ages; so long ago I think I was in Black & White! paul[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by your reply?.

My reply was genuine to assist a fellow expat.

Hi Marc, don't take offence - I suspect that if you have just joined the forum you hadn't noticed that the message you were replying to was actually posted a couple of years ago, and there hasn't been any more discussion of it since then.  Each string of messages on a particular topic is called a "thread"  (i guess because it can wandef off in all sorts of directions and can be of any length)  - hence the surprised response to your helpful message! The forum design makes it very hard to see the date on a message if you're not looking for it.

Regards

Steve

Just to set the record straight, it used to be possible to obtain a free viewing card through the BBC in order to see BBC and other free-to-view channels on Sky (it didn't, naturally, include any of the Sky subscription channels).

When the BBC signals went free-to-air (i.e. unscrambled) issue of these cards ceased, and were replaced by another card, known I think as Free2view, which was available for a one-off payment and enabled you to receive ITV, Channel 4 and five. This is the card which is being discussed in the earlier part of this topic. It was only available for a short time.

A later equivalent offer came from BSkyB, and this card is roughly equivalent to the BBC Freeview package though the mix of channels is slightly different. This is known as Freesat, and comes as a box/dish/card package for a fee of £150. See http://www.freesatfromsky.com/.

"When the BBC signals went free-to-air (i.e. unscrambled) issue of these cards ceased, and were replaced by another card, known I think as Free2view, which was available for a one-off payment and enabled you to receive ITV, Channel 4 and five. This is the card which is being discussed in the earlier part of this topic. It was only available for a short time."

Will, I think you will find that this card is still available for a one off payment of £20 to view ITV, Channel4 & 5.

http://www.freesatfromsky.com/?pID=6

I already have digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

All you need to get access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a freesat viewing card which costs just £20.

Baz