Don't take this as if I am an expert by any means but here in 53 we used to suffer a bit by heavy rain, but after we had a larger dish fitted by Gitem (for an entirely different reason) only occasionally is reception affected by torrential rain and never by wind.

Maybe it might help an expert to answer your query if you say what part of the country you are located as its possible the further south you are the more you may be affected.

weedon

You don't say what size dish you have but bigger is better against rainstorms etc although the bigger they are the more accurate the alignment has to be.

The BBC channels are on Astra 2d which is aimed far more at the UK than other Sky channels on Astra 2b so if you are further south as we are the likelyhood of this problem is increased.

[quote]In my experience. If rain makes the picture break up then you need a bigger dish. I use 80cm in The Var (83). If wind does the same is the dish near trees or bushes that are swept near the dish by th...[/quote]

If rain makes the picture break up then you need a bigger dish.

Not necessarily. In fact as you live in la Manche you can be fairly sure that your problem is nothing to do with dish size.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have seen some pretty bad installations recently in 56, so called sat fitters using ordianry RF cable, joining the cable with insulation tape and failing to correctly waterproof the connection to the LNB.  When it rains, the picture breaks up or fails completely is a common problem and is frequently caused by the lack of waterproofing and over a period, only a few months really, water has penetrated the connection and the cable.

It could also be the LNB which is on its way out.

A larger dish helps.

CHRIS

Well I have seen some pretty bad installations recently in 56, so called sat fitters using ordianry RF cable, joining the cable with insulation tape and failing to correctly waterproof the connection to the LNB.  When it rains, the picture breaks up or fails completely is a common problem and is frequently caused by the lack of waterproofing and over a period, only a few months really, water has penetrated the connection and the cable.

It could also be the LNB which is on its way out.

A larger dish helps.

CHRIS