WAnadoo does - but intermittently..

I'm having horrendous problems with my Wanadoo dialup connection - it breaks down over and over again sometimes,  for no apparent reason. This is after many months with no problems at all.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm running AVG a/virus, ZoneAlarmPro, Onspeed and have recently set up a separate desktop for my children - they use Incredimail for their email, I have gone back to Outlook Express to escape the dreaded "emotions" that appear all over Incredimail messsages. 

This problem started before I changed desktop arrangements, so I don't think it's that.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Nick 

There was a reply on here somewhere recently (in fact first post on next page back) where Wanadoo admitted they were having problems with dial up

I quote "I've found Wanadoo unusually slow for the past three or four weeks, as has a friend who is about 10km from me - his got so bad he rang them and they did say they were having "perturbations" at present. We've been with them for about six years, generally OK but there are the odd periods when the connection is slow"

So it could be that, other suggestions are phone line and modem, have any lightning strikes nearby recently?  Did you unplug your phone line during the recent storms?

Yes I unplugged during recent storms. No I haven't increased the number of telephones on my line. Thanks for suggestions.

Still having problems, but not all the time. Sometimes the connection is solid for hours.. Having looked at recent posts about poor connections, I'm going out to check that trees aren't rubbing my phone lines up the wrong way!

Further problem - now find I can't send email to my father who's just converted to NTL as part of a cable TV/phone package. I recall reading somewhere that Wanadoo mail is sometimes not accepted by other ISPs - does anyone know about this?

Nick

We had the same problem

The little triangle at the bottom left of the screen would not go dark green with ours it turned out to be the connection into the box we had to change the cable but the connections are more robust than the avarage so I had to find a cable with more solid ends on that do not wobble in the box. It has been perfect since  

[quote]Yes I unplugged during recent storms. No I haven't increased the number of telephones on my line. Thanks for suggestions. Still having problems, but not all the time. Sometimes the connection is soli...[/quote]

Nick

Wanadoo has never been 100% reliable, few ISP's connected rom remote locations are,  and as has been posted Wanadoo have had recent problems.  The NTL problem, well again this topic has been covered and recently  NTL rejecting wanadoo.fr generated E mails after a week is a well known and documented problem, basically you cannot send E mails to NTL from Wanadoo.fr, if you do, they get sent back after 5 to 7 days.  You or your Dad will have to go onto hotmail.

If you do a search on this topic here, you will find that this problem has serious implications for gite owners in France who cannot confirm bookings etc to NTL users.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Nick Wanadoo has never been 100% reliable, few ISP's connected rom remote locations are, and as has been posted Wanadoo have had recent problems. The NTL problem, well again this topic has been cov...[/quote]

quote: The NTL problem, well again this topic has been covered and recently  NTL rejecting wanadoo.fr generated E mails after a week is a well known and documented problem, basically you cannot send E mails to NTL from Wanadoo.fr, if you do, they get sent back after 5 to 7 days.  You or your Dad will have to go onto hotmail.

After a lot of frustration trying to send email to some of my customers, friends and family with NTL email addresses (and Tesco.net Ntl provide the routing for them)

It appears that Wanadoo.fr have got themselves listed on some blacklists for spamming problems particularly SORBS. I assume that NTL use this blacklist and therefore reject the email on these grounds. usually the email comes back 5 days or so later with "Error 452 rejected due to end of data command"

After delving around on various forums and websites it appears that Wanadoo.fr are refusing to acknowledge they have a problem usually blaming your computer for the problem.

If anyone has a workround for this problem I would love to hear it, as said in one of the other posts it has caused a lot of problems for gite owners and advertisers not being able to responed to enquiries

Cheers Tim

www.vendee-gites.co.uk

I have replied to this before but will do so again.

To send from any ISP to any other ISP bypassing your ISP which may be banned or on the SORBS list, try www.smtp.com. It costs $50 a year and for my business is money well spent. This is per e-mail address.  You can also send from any PC with a program such as Outlook or OE loaded (instructions with the account), so you can really be ISP non dependant if you travel a lot.

Yes it is more money but for me is has saved me losing at least three clients (Tiscali.fr not talking to AOL as AOL blacklists Tiscali on a regular basis).

smtp also allows you to track your mails and see if they actually arrived - very useful on the odd occasion.

I am a very satisfied customer and have been so for nearly two years.

[quote]I have replied to this before but will do so again. To send from any ISP to any other ISP bypassing your ISP which may be banned or on the SORBS list, try www.smtp.com . It costs $50 a year and fo...[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I now have contact with my inlaws and friends, but more importantly my customers now I can send them invoices !!!!

Now lets send wanadoo the invoice for the subscription

Thanks again

Tim

www.vendee-gites.co.uk