Unstamped mail from the UK?

It will be held in the UK for about two months and then sent on to you in France. You shouldn't have to pay anything. It will come with a sticker on it with a message from the UK Post Office that reads words to the effect:

"We're sorry you've had to wait two months for this letter but we felt it was necessary to wear our big British jobsworth hats and do nothing with it for a long while - don't blame us, blame the pillock who didn't put a stamp on it"

I just hope it isn't anything important !

Aaaagh!!Is anyone else having postal probs? I sent a letter to Uk from France ,with the correct postage,over 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived and someone sent me one in the opposite direction at a similar time and that hasn't arrived! Doh! Who knows how many more have never arrived?

If you don't use the new 56c stamps and an airmail sticker it will go surface mail and that takes a long time, From the UK,  a 1st class stamp only works for a light letter. so same applies. 

If a letter does not have the correct postage and is not sent by airmail,  its not jobsworth eslier, its done by machine now, and even if it was a human decision,  it is called trying to make a profit and preventing privatisation.  Why should it go par avion if it has not been paid for, try that one on on Ryanair.  Its not just one letter it is thousands without the correct postage. The only bit you got correct is that it is if it does not get to you on time it is the fault of the pillock who didn't put a stamp on it

I agree Ron - except that a first class stamp should not get to Europe as airmail (it's a 42p IIRC) - anyway and on the other hand I have recieved things deliberately sent surface mail.  It takes 19 days to travel the 847km from Northamptonshire to RheinlandPfalz.  By my reckoning it is just about walkable in that time - so what means of distribution do the post offices use for surface mail?

[quote]If you don't use the new 56c stamps and an airmail sticker it will go surface mail and that takes a long time, From the UK, a 1st class stamp only works for a light letter. so same applies. If a le...[/quote]

I totally agree with everything you have said Ron. There are too many people around who seem to have a moral objection to any company trying to be profitable. Where I think the jobsworth part of the equation comes into play is the fact that they deliberately hold the letter up for a couple of months. It would be much better if it was returned to the original sender (with an excess charge attached) so that it can be sent again with the correct postage. People can make mistakes but sometimes the contents of letters can be very important.

"It would be much better if it was returned to the original sender (with an excess charge attached) so that it can be sent again with the correct postage. People can make mistakes but sometimes the contents of letters can be very important."

I agree that they shouldn't hold onto mail for 2 months but how are they going to send mail back to sender with no address? If they opened mail to try and find a return address I think this would be against some sort of data protection act or something.

I suppose their view is that if you know it takes 2 months to arrive without correct postage it will make sure you pay the correct amount next time???

We frequently get letters from Britain that are either unstamped or have insufficient postage. If these are picked up by the British sorting office (which doesn't always happen) they get sent by surface mail rather than the standard European air mail and take anything from three to ten weeks to arrive. We have never had to pay extra postage in France for any of these. The worst offenders are British PR companies who get offended because I have not used their press release or replied to their invitation - then blame La Poste for slow delivery rather than their own incompetence or ignorance.

The minimum stamp from Britain to Europe is 42p which covers items up to 20g - anything less, even a first class stamp, will not go by air mail if spotted by the British postal service. I have a brother-in-law who works in a UK sorting office and he confirms this is what happens.

I am sure that, as with all French matters, things will be done differently in different places.

Sorry this is a bit off the original topic but I am puzzled about references to Air Mail.  I am sure I read or heard, can't remember where of course, that all mail UK/France/UK goes Air Mail.  There is no surface mail on that route. I was so certain of this that I never bother to write Air Mail on the envelope or get a sticker; I just put on the 55ct stamp (currently with dear old Napoleon on it) and off it goes.  I am not aware that any of my fairly limited sendings are particularly delayed.  Does anyone know if there really is a surface route? 

Regarding delays for incorrect stamps from the UK I have had 2nd class delivered here in France in 2 days and I have also had them take weeks.  UK business mail which is routinely pre-franked 1st or 2nd always seems to turn up within a few days.  I have never been asked to pay extra.

Liz (29)

ps I've just checked the Post Office web site http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/content1?catId=19100179&mediaId=19100246 which confirms that letters and Post Cards to Europe go by Air Mail!

Liz,

I send a reasonable amount of mail to the UK and, more often than not, usually hand it over the counter at one of our local "la poste" offices. Generally, they put all normal letters (with blue stamp) through without any additional stickers. Anything larger than a normal size DL envelope or anything heavier than 20g always has a dark blue "Prioritaire" sticker put on it.

The answer to your question is that all correctly stamped mail between Britain and Europe is treated as air mail. For letters and small packages, you officially have no choice - it's the only option available.

What happens, according to my Brother-in-law in the sorting office, is that underpaid mail from Britain is put in with the large packets that take a slower route. That depends on somebody, or more precisely the machines, picking out underpaid letters (particularly difficult with pre-franked items). I presume something similar happens with mail from France that has the 52c inland stamp rather than the 55c, or is overweight.

I generally get mail to Britain weighed and stamped at the post office in France, 20g is not a lot.