Hello everyone, my first post. We are moving out the Villbois Lavalette soon and would like to know if anyone has managed to take their sky+ box from the UK and set it up in France. I have read some posts on the problems of activating cards etc.

[quote]Hello everyone, my first post. We are moving out the Villbois Lavalette soon and would like to know if anyone has managed to take their sky+ box from the UK and set it up in France. I have read some p...[/quote]

Hello and welcome

Your $ky box will work here, but depending on the contract you have with Sky, it may not work for very long. If you have a contract that requires a connection to the telephone (some, or most Sky+ ones), then Sky will cut you off as soon as they discover that your box is not calling them. It can't be configured to work in France.

Do a search on this forum, there is plenty of info available.

You cannot use SKY + in France as to use it you have to be connected to a UK phone line.

If you just want to go on using SKY or use your SKY box to view the Free to Air channels, including ITV Ch 4 & 5,  have a look back through recent posts in this section as this has been covered over and over again in recent weeks.

I could be wrong but I thought this was also the case with regular Sky. When you sign up for Sky or Sky+ don't you agree to have it connected to a phone line for the first year? After the first year I understood that then it would not be obligatory. Therefore, if you currently have Sky+ in the UK and have it connected to a UK line for over one year, could you not then take it to France?

Looks like those sneaky Sky people check that the box is connected to a uk line occasionally and can stop the service if found not to be, found this link on google with some info about sky plus used abroad.

http://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/sky_plus_receivers.htm

[quote]Looks like those sneaky Sky people check that the box is connected to a uk line occasionally and can stop the service if found not to be, found this link on google with some info about sky plus used a...[/quote]

thank you

You can use Sky+ in France, as I have posted several times but you need a company in the UK to fake your telephone connection, despite some prat in a previous posting saying that it's only an accomodation address that you are paying for and that Sky do not check the telephone connection, they do and this works.

[quote]You can use Sky+ in France, as I have posted several times but you need a company in the UK to fake your telephone connection, despite some prat in a previous posting saying that it's only an accomoda...[/quote]

Does all this only apply to Sky+?

What about "normal" Sky which I've had in the UK for a few years.  If  I continue to pay the subscription through UK bank standing order but the box isn't connected to a UK phone line do I risk being cut off?

Bernice

Sorry, but aren't we confusing Sky + box (a digital recorder) and a mirror-type sub? The Sky + box will work as a PVR without a telephone connection and, if you have one without a contract that requires telephone connection (you can buy them from Dixons for £199, last time I looked), then it will work in France.

[quote]Sorry, but aren't we confusing Sky + box (a digital recorder) and a mirror-type sub? The Sky + box will work as a PVR without a telephone connection and, if you have one without a contract that requir...[/quote]

You've lost me there Nick - I've no idea what a "mirror-type sub" is!  I'm just talking about a digibox (Panasonic) supplied with our original subscription to Sky.  It was connected to the phone in the UK as required for the necessary first 12 months.  All I wanted to know is if it's not connected to a UK phone line long term will there be problems? I will continue to pay the subscription.

Bernice

My wife and i have a ski chalet in the French Alps and sky is important for our guests

With us we had Sky+ multi room both box's in France and they were registered to a uk address, we kept getting letters about the box's not being connected and in the end they doubled our subscription,

When our 12 month contract period ended we cancelled the multi room part of our contract and we now have one sky+ box working with the full contract and the other does all the free view channels, we pay for one full subscription

Regards

Sam Edwards

www.chaletwensam.com