deux filtres ADSL

In an earlier message I asked about the offer " haut débit for 10 euro's a month?"

Today I got an email from FT reaffirming that offer.

They talk about  an usb modem and "2 filtres ADSL". What does that mean? Does it mean I can connect to computers to the modem?

We have two laptops, one Windows ME, one iBook. Would that be a problem? At home they both work fine in a network of four computers, connected through a modem/router.

[quote user="Adriana"] In an earlier message I asked about the offer " haut débit for 10 euro's a month?"

They talk about  an usb modem and "2 filtres ADSL". What does that mean? Does it mean I can connect to computers to the modem?

We have two laptops, one Windows ME, one iBook. Would that be a problem? At home they both work fine in a network of four computers, connected through a modem/router.

[/quote]

The 2 filtres ADSL are plug-in boxes with a little socket on the bottom to connect an ADSLmodem, and a standard FT phone socket on the front. Their purpose is to separate the ADSL signal from the ordinary telephone signal. You could connect either pc/laptop to either socket, but to use them as you did at home I suspect you'll need another router.

p

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"][quote user="Adriana"] In an earlier message I asked about the offer " haut débit for 10 euro's a month?"

[/quote]

The 2 filtres ADSL are plug-in boxes with a little socket on the bottom to connect an ADSLmodem, and a standard FT phone socket on the front. Their purpose is to separate the ADSL signal from the ordinary telephone signal. You could connect either pc/laptop to either socket, but to use them as you did at home I suspect you'll need another router.

p

[/quote]

What I would call a 'splitter'? A small box that splits the phone cord into a phone line and one for the modem?

If that is what it is, I know it . I will still need a modem/router.

[quote user="Adriana"] 
[/quote]

I presume you mean "two" computers. Each filter is for connection to a line which used for some voice line equipment (telephone, fax).

The modem can only be connected to one computer at a time. There is no reason why you should not load the software onto each computer and then move the modem from computer to computer as you require.

The usb adsl modem will only connect to one computer at a time. If you want to connect two computers simultaneously you will have to purchase a modem/router. These have 4 outlets so you will be able to use both computers together, at the same time as you use the phone.Some routers also have wireless connections (wi-fi) built in so you can use a laptop, or other computer provided they are equipped for wi-fi without having network cables all round the house. You will not need the usb modem but you will still need your filters!

[quote user="Mikew"]The usb adsl modem will only connect to one computer at a time. If you want to connect two computers simultaneously you will have to purchase a modem/router. These have 4 outlets so you will be able to use both computers together, at the same time as you use the phone.Some routers also have wireless connections (wi-fi) built in so you can use a laptop, or other computer provided they are equipped for wi-fi without having network cables all round the house. You will not need the usb modem but you will still need your filters!

[/quote]

Thanks, both. Sorry for the typo! Of course I meant 'two'.

I want the same set up as we have at home (main residence not in France), which is a splitter connecting to an adsl multi-pc modem/router.

It seems these things only come with the more expensive accounts, or am I mistaken?

Adriana, what you need is one of  THESE 

Sign up for the basic package with simple modem but don't load the software  or use the modem - keep it for backup.  You can use the Netgear ADSL modem/router for your Wanadoo connection. It is really easy to set up and best of all you don't need that horrible Wanadoo software !

[quote user="Eslier"]Adriana, what you need is one of  THESE 

Sign up for the basic package with simple modem but don't load the software  or use the modem - keep it for backup.  You can use the Netgear ADSL modem/router for your Wanadoo connection. It is really easy to set up and best of all you don't need that horrible Wanadoo software !

[/quote]

Thanks. You are right: I definitely don't want any wanadoo software (nor that of any other provider for that matter) on my machines,

but neither of our notebooks has wifi, nor do we want to invest in wifi cards at the moment (it costs enough to have everyhting runnig state of the art at our main residence).

So what I want is a splitter and a multi-pc modem/router.

Surely, that can't nbe hard to find?

If your laptop computers have ethernet network sockets:

Go into one of the  hypers and look in the computer area. Plenty of modem/routers to chose from, you don't have to go the wi-fi way. Just buy the router box with a modem in and a couple of network cables long enough to place your laptops where you want them. No Wanadoo software to install, its all in Windows, do not waste any money buying a usb modem from wanadoo, you don't need it. You should get your adsl filter in the modem box. You must use it to enable adsl and phone to co-exist on the same line.

[quote user="Mikew"]

You should get your adsl filter in the modem box. You must use it to enable adsl and phone to co-exist on the same line.

[/quote]

Both laptops have ethernet sockets and are connected that way to our local network and the internet at our main residence.

That is what I want in France too.

Are you sure the splitter will be in the modem box?

Are they easy to connect?

I have had adsl at home for ages, when it first started, and remember the first splitters being quite troublesome.

I have since installed adsl for friends here in the Netherlands using modern splitters and that was a doddle.

Thanks for your info.

Read the box! Anyway adsl filters are only a few euros each if there is not one in the box. No problems with the ones I have used here.

If your laptops are working in network mode at your main residence they need no further setting up. All you have to do after you have arranged and waited for adsl to be installed on your line is to plug in your modem, connect a computer to the modem, use your browser to navigate to the address used by your modem (given in instructions in box), enter the details (password, username etc) as supplied by your ISP and you are connected to the internet.

[quote user="Mikew"]Read the box! Anyway adsl filters are only a few euros each if there is not one in the box. No problems with the ones I have used here.

If your laptops are working in network mode at your main residence they need no further setting up. All you have to do after you have arranged and waited for adsl to be installed on your line is to plug in your modem, connect a computer to the modem, use your browser to navigate to the address used by your modem (given in instructions in box), enter the details (password, username etc) as supplied by your ISP and you are connected to the internet.

[/quote]

Great! Can't wait. We aon't be going till end of March beginning of April, but I am dying to try it out.

Thank you all.