tv license

Guest CFrost

hi everyone, just getting settled in here in France and I am trying to find out where to get tv license from, I did have a web address for it, but have lost it!!! If anyone has the number etc, I would be most grateful

thanks

kimberley

Chadenier 17

Before it was included in the taxe d'hab this year, it was quite normal not to receive a TV licence once you had bought or declared a set for at least six months, they just seem to take a long time with this particular one. When we bought our first french TV in 95,I even went to the mairie to find out when we would receive a licence as we hadn't heard anything for months and they said,don't worry,you can't escape as they know you have a set once you paid for it in the shop,it just takes time to go through the system.

• 3 months later...

Was wondering how to obtain a tv license and came across this thread. 

With us, our house (holiday home not perminent residence) has been gradually renovated and so far have not had to pay any taxes.  Am expecting to pay tax d'habitation this year though.  We have just had sky installed for UK tv.  How do I go about getting a license and/or advising we have a tv?  We are not buying tv in France so authorities wont automatically be advised.  Waiting until October/November for tax bill seems a long time to go without a license, unsure what to do.  Any advice?

Thanks

Sue

Same with us. Moved in last October, have not seen sight nor sound of tv licence. Not going to lose any sleep over it though, they'll soon find us! Technically I should buy a UK licence as the only tv I watch is English tv (watched French tv a few times and all it seems to be is quiz shows or debates - yawn).

This'll be the first time we've bought a tv licence. No such thing in Australia, but then it shows as Australian tv is basically American tv - not worth a penny!

If you were not the property owner on 1/1/05 you are not liable for taxe habitation 2005, you will, as occupier on 1.1.06, be liable for T Hab 2006, but you will not be billed until near the end of this year - varies from place to place. TV licence is automatically added to Taxe Hab, you have to opt out if you do not have one. The licence is for the use of receiving apparatus, not for what you view, be it UK, French or any other transmission received in France! You need a licence to keep a TV used solely for viewing DVDs, or a TV card built into a computer etc.