Help please with livebox and outlook express

Recently I got talked into getting a wanadoo livebox.  I was promised instructions in English, but needless to say they did not arrive.  Unfortunately when I discovered this I was not able to access this forum as the line had been changed and my old dial up connection did not work.

After staring at the box for several days, reading the instructions in French, and remembering the horror stories on this site, I summoned the courage to try to install it.  I have a lap top with windows XP service pack 2, and a wifi connection.  I actually found the installation by wifi to be quite easy, as windows did it all, and I did not need to use the installation cd supplied by Wanadoo.  Once I get my computer sorted, I will connect my wife's computer by wifi as well.

The broad band connection works well, and is much better than the dial up, but I am left with two problems which I cannot solve.  These are the telephone which does not work on the live band, and my e-mail.  I will leave the telephone problem for another post, as it works on the old line, but I would be very grateful for outlook express advice.

I cannot get outlook express to work with the live box.  I can send and receive e-mails via the Wanadoo web site, but I would much rather use outlook express so that I can keep records of my e-mails on my computer, and so that I do not have to build a new address book on Wanadoo.

I have tried to configure outlook express, but it insists on trying to use the old dial up connections, and it will not connect to the live box, although inernet explorer works fine.  I have set up internet accounts before, and I set up the dial up connection manually without using the Wanadoo cd (that cd ruined my last computer and I ended up buying a new one), but I cannot set up outlook express this time.

Following the Wanadoo instructions, the only way to connect outlook express is via "Espace Wanadoo" but I realised that I do not have "Espace Wanadoo" on my machine.  In fact the instructions on page 42 state that "Espace Wanadoo" is not available on pc type computers!!!!  So according to Wanadoo it is impossible to use outlook express with the live box on a pc, but I have seen on other threads that it is possible.

On other threads I have seen settings advised such as "Country France, VPI 8, VCI 35, protocol PPPoA, encapsulation LLC" but I have no idea how to enter these settings, or where to enter them.  I cannot find anywhere in outlook express to enter them.

I would be very grateful for advice about how to get outlook express working.

Many thanks in advance,

David

David,

The settings you mentioned are for connecting your computer to the internet.  They aren't the settings for sending and receiving your e-mail.   

Is your Wanadoo e-mail your only e-mail account?  Here's how I set up OE to access my Wanadoo e-mail:

Open Outlook Express.  Go to Tools, Accounts, Mail.  Select Add, Mail.   On the Your Name screen, type in your name as you want it to appear on your e-mail.  Select Next.  On the Internet E-mail Address screen, type in your Wanadoo e-mail address.  Select Next.

On the E-mail Server Names screen, select My incoming mail server is a POP3 server.  For your incoming mail server, type pop.wanadoo.fr.  For your outgoing mail server, type smtp.wanadoo.fr.  Select Next.

On the Internet Logon screen, type the e-mail account name (Identifiant de messagerie) given you by Wanadoo.  Then type your Wanadoo e-mail password (Mot de passe de messagerie).  Check Remember password.  Select Next.

On the Congratulations screen, select Finish.

(If any of these steps is missing, don't panic unless you never get to a screen that offers Finish as an option.  If that happens, PM me.)

Try out your account.  If it doesn't work, don't despair.  Go again to Tools, Accounts, Mail.  Highlight the Wanadoo account and select Properties

On the General screen, your should see your account listed as pop.wanadoo.fr (you can change this later if you like, but leave it for now).  You should also see your name and your complete internet address.  Make sure that the box Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing is checked.

On the Servers screen, under Server Information you should see the information you typed in about your POP3 and smtp servers.  Under Incoming Mail Server, you should see your account name and a row of dots for your password.   Make sure that the Remember Password box is checked.  Under Outgoing Server, check the My Server Requires Authentication box.  Then choose Settings.

On the Outgoing Mail Server screen, choose Log on using.  Type in your account name and password.  Check the Remember Password box.  Do not check the Log on using Secure Password Authentication box.  Select Okay. 

Skip the Connection and Security screens.  On the Advanced screen, you should see a number (probably 25) in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) box.  You should also see a number (probably 110) in the Incoming Mail (POP3) box.  The two This server requires a secure connection (SSL) boxes should be unchecked.  Do not check any other boxes on that screen.  Select Okay.

Close the Tools menu and try again to send/receive your e-mail.  Good luck. 

Tenniswitch,

Very very many thanks for your very kind and detailed assistance.  My only account is "Courier Wanadoo/mail/dial up connection".  I tried to set up other accounts but the outlook express ignored them and tried to dial up, even though I had set them up as default.

I have printed your instructions and will follow them, perhaps tomorrow as it is a bit late now for concentrated thought.  Will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks, and much appreciated.

David

Hi David.

You Wrote My only account is "Courier Wanadoo/mail/dial up connection"

Open Outlook Express

Click on TOOLS then ACCOUNTS.

This should bring up a box titled Internet Accounts

Click on MAIL highlight your account Courier Wanadoo if that is your account

and click PROPERTIES click CONNECTION 

Then change from Dial Up Connection  to Local Area Network.

Click APPLY and OK then  Close the  Internet Accounts Box

And everything should work.

Regards Peter.

Dear Tenniswitch and Peter,

Very many thanks for your two very kind and detailed assistances.  I followed Peter's advice, and also checked all the settings as described by Tenniswitch, and bingo!  My outlook express works.

I think that where I went wrong was to try to set up a new account for the wifi connection, instead of changing the dial up connection.  So I started by deleting the new account, and then changed the dial up connection.

Many thanks, and much appreciated.

David

Tenniswitch, you are so right.  Even though I could, with difficulty, send and receive e-mails through Wanadoo, I was lost without Outlook Express which I have learnt to understand.

Even more important, my son is getting married in early June, and the best man has asked for some embarassing photos of my son's early life.  I was to scan them in and e-mail them.  However, I could not figure out how to do this on Wanadoo and was panicking, but with outlook express it will be a doddle.  I cannot set the sizes, and the photos may take hours to send, but they will send.

Again many many thanks for your very kind assistance to a total stranger.

That is one thing I very much like about this site, total strangers go out of their way to help others.  I hope I can reciprocate in future threads.

Kind regards,

David

David,

This may not work for you (I am no techie), but, when you scanned the photos, where did you save them?  Are they in your My Pictures file? 

In my version of WinXP, if I open the My Pictures file (Start, My Pictures), highlight a photo by hovering the cursor over it, and select Email this file from the list on the left-hand side of the page (under File and Folders Tasks), a Send Pictures via Email box appears that offers the option Make all my pictures smaller.  If you select this and also select Show more options (bottom left of box), it will give you some choices about the size of the photos you send.

Good luck, and congratulations to your son.  May he and his intended have a long and happy life together.

Hi Tenniswitch & Peter,

Sorry not to reply sooner, but I have had a somewhat stressful day on the computer.  Thanks for the photo advice, and I have now sent the photos.  I will find out tomorrow who they were received.

My stressful day started when I visited the fun quiz in the lighter side.  Every time I leave this site I get a blurred and somewhat dodgy looking message to say that my computer has a virus, and I am invited to visit a site and let the site fix my computer.  I seemed to remember warnings about this message, and that even to click the "x" to close the box installed a virus.  The computer was locked, so I just switched off manually.  Thinking about it I realised that Norton should have stopped this.  When I re-booted I checked Norton only to find that it was switched off, and that the virus definitions were out of date.  When trying to switch on Norton the new settings would not hold, and the software froze.  After much virus checking with adaware and spybot, I visited the Norton site which reported a fault and tried to correct it.  I still could not use Norton so I went into system restore to a date before the last virus definition update.  This then lost me all my computer settings, so much that my cd drive would not work.  I undid the restore and got my settings back, or most of them anyway - these included thelivebox connections.

After much mucking about I now have one remaining problem with Norton, in that the live update insists on trying to use the old dial up connection.  I cannot find out how to change it to the livebox.

My Norton subscription runs out in July, and I wonder if I should change to AVG or the new windows virus checker mentioned on this site.  Sorry but I forgot to check the name of the new windows checker before starting this post.  I think it was in internet security.

While typing this, I was trying to format a new blank CD-RW, and the blasted machine has just told me that the format failed because of media damage.  I hope my CD drive is working.

My feelings towards Norton and liveboxes are not very friendly at the moment.

Must close as I am working without a proper virus checker, and I want to see what has happened to the cd drive.  I had better come off line for a bit.

David

Have checked the post and the windows product was called "windowsonecare".  I wonder if anyone has any info about this product?

I must decide whether to try to get Norton to use the livebox connection, or dump Norton and install either AVG, or windowsonecare.

The cd drive seems ok, and I am now trying to format another brand new disk just out of it's sealing packet.  Going ok so far -here's hoping!

Thanks for all your help.

David

I would never use Norton again. Slows the system down and from what I understand a lot of viruses are designed to get around Norton anyway (could be wrong there, but it's just what I've heard). I use Avast which is another freebie virus scanner and have had fewer problems running this than when I had Norton system clogger.

I'm not a fan of Symantec either and have a huge file of e-mail correspondence with their support techs regarding problems I've had with them in the past (but I confess that I haven't yet gotten rid of their software, which came preinstalled on my computers).

I'm enclosing a link to Spyware Warrior, a site that has a lot of information about viruses and other security issues (don't be put off by the name- it's not only about spyware).  It also has info and links that might be helpful to you about HijackThis logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php

David, Many people on the forum use AVG Free very successfully, I have it set to update automatically, daily, so far so good. ( I have used AVG for several years) When I changed my computer a few months ago my computer guy pre installed it, which I questioned as he had previously told me he had found a better alternative, but he admitted that he had changed his mind and returned to it.

I am now the proud user of AVG!  All seemed to go well.  I uninstalled Norton using windows add & remove, and it seems to have gone.  I then loaded AVG, followed the instructions, and all seems well.

I have only two comments.  My computer does not seem to have speeded up with the removal of Norton - perhaps there are some bits left?

Once AVG was installed it did a virus check and found a dialler virus.  The list just showed the virus, but there was no automatic repair.  I highlighted the virus, and was then offered the option of putting it into the vault, which I did.  There was no option to repair or delete the virus.  I then did another virus check, just to be sure that I had quarantined the virus, and AVG found another dialler virus!  I put this into the vault, and did a third virus check - yet another 40 minutes, and no more viruses were found.  I presume that these viruses got onto the machine while Norton was disabled after installing the livebox, or could it be that they bypassed Norton?

With regard to AVG, is it correct that no automatic repair takes place?  Was I correct to put them in the vault, and will they be safe in the vault?

I must say that so far I am impressed with AVG, which seems to be a serious bit of kit, and I now seem to work faster on the internet.

Many thanks for all your help.

David