sky box and English TV set and Franch terrestrial TV

Hi could some one help with this please

Friends of ours have sky box and English TV set all works fine

But  can they watch French TV through the aerial as well ?

Is there a way of putting the signal from the aerial through the sky box

Many thanks for any input  

As far as I know you just plug the aerial into the aerial socket on the skybox. We do, and to watch you go out of the AV channel into 1, 2 etc, and Bob's your uncle, but our TV was already tuned to French channels, so if they haven't gone through that procedure they will have to.

Our French TV is the same model as a TV we have in the UK, and provided it is modern there shouldn't be a problem - unless anyone knows different?

To get French TV via an aerial,  you plug the aerial lead into the aerial socket on the TV. If you have a video you plug the aerial lead into the video and video lead to TV etc

The SKY etc comes from the SKY box to the TV via a scart plug and as Dick says you access it via the AV or RGB channels on the TV set. You can then switch from French TV to the SKY stuff using the TV's  handset, you still need the SKY remote to change channels on the SKY stuff though

Mark,

Presumably you are asking whether a British TV set can receive French TV through a terrestial aerial rather than a satellite dish.  In other words use the sky dish for British TV, and a different terrestial aerial for French TV, both through a British TV set.  Is that correct?  If so, the basic answer is "NO".

Yes a British TV set can connect to a sky box and dish in France and receive British TV.

However, a British TV set will not receive French terrestial TV through a normal aerial as the systems are different.

A recently purchased French TV is dual standard and will receive both British and French programs.

If you have a British TV set, it will not help to connect the terrestial aerial to the sky box as the sky box will not convert the French standard signals to British standard.

Therefore you need to buy a new French TV set, and all will work.

This subject has been covered in great detail in earlier threads, and they will give you the specifications of the different standards.  We looked through the earlier threads, and they told us exactly what to do.  We followed the advice, and all works well.

Hope this helps,

David

The only way to find out is to try.    As has been said,  some moderner UK-sourced sets are truly multistandard,  but a lot aren't - they'll work in most of Europe EXCEPT France.   The problem is that the French TV system (termed system L) is as different from all the others as it could be,  except that it has 625 lines like the other European systems.

Philips sets seem in the main to be truly multistandard.

If in doubt,  look at the specification in the manual.   System L needs to be mentioned if the TV is to work in France.   The UK uses system I.    In addition the set needs to be SECAM capable for colour,  the UK uses PAL.

I think I might disagree with david's comment, if I have understood him correctly.

We have our TV aerial from the roof plugged in, and the sky box attached to the dish.  Tonight I'm watching FR3 etc, but later on will watch BBC1.

There is no problem!

except we've just had a thunder storm and both a feeling a bit wobbly at the moment.  Terrestrial doesn't like the lighning, and I think I need a new bit of tape around the lead that connects to the dish (and it's pouring!)  But otherwise, we usually watch both versions in one evening.  We just don't have a TV schedule, and if we get hold of them we have to do time acrobatics to make sure we plan a good evenings TV.

Must add we brought our TV from England, just had to retune it for the French channels, but it did that automatically.

MargaretD,

You have not understood me correctly.  I stand by what I said.  I simplified it for non technical persons, as I am not a technical person.  If your set worked as you describe, then you must have a dual standard TV set.  We eventually bought a French TV set, and it works as you describe.

Some TV sets sold in Britain are dual standard, but most are not.  We started off with a dual standard boat television, and we retuned it.  Our British TV set was single standard and would not receive French TV.  You have to consider both receiving in colour and receiving by pal or secam.

Previous threads cover this in detail.

I do not want to mislead people coming over to France, so I say to them that dual standards exist.

David

If you don't have a multi-standard TV, then you may be able to watch French TV by connecting the aerial to the aerial socket on a video recorder, which is connected to the TV via a Scart lead. This doesn't always work, but is worth a try.