Was impressed by those satellite pictures from Nasa, but for those of you with a fast Internet link, the latest software from Google is a must.

http://earth.google.com/ then click on the Get Google Earth free version and download the software

In my opinion a fantastic program that you can drill down to details of your areas in France and others of course, tilting the view and seeing relief views etc -

• 1 year later...
Very good detail, Christine.  Here's one that I really like:

GéoPortail

Click on the country of your choice (France, of course), enter the commune name and zoom in.  Best I've seen for aerial photos, like Mappy (the one Yellow Pages links to) it uses the IGN images. 

EDIT: The Mappy one zooms in deeper but loses definition as a result - I think the images are exactly the same.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Does anyone know if there is a similar system for the UK as I would love to look at places where we lived, but the Google Earth doesn't zoom in so close as the Pages Jaunes.

[/quote]

You can view Ariel photo's of UK on http://multimap.com/, do a normal search for an address and click the Ariel icon. I think that Google Earth is probably closer though. It may vary i guess.

Louise

I'm doing something wrong on your Geoportail Cassis.  When I enter a commune, it gives the answer found and when I click on that I get an empty white frame with a little hand in it ready to do things, but nothing to do it on

http://www.geoportail.fr/index.php?event=DisplayCartoVisu&url_insert=454c8017cd9addec9f7d2e88aa8ee6ae

Louise, your multimap site seems to have aeriel photos of certain places like on Google Earth, but it doesn't look as if you can just zoom in on anywhere as the Pages Jaunes. 

Works fine for me whether I follow your link or mine to Geoportail.  What is the name of the commune you are trying?  If you put in Ancinnes ours comes up okay.

The pictures on the French sites belong to IGN, the equivalent to Ordnance Survey in the UK.  The UK photos will be from another source, I guess it must be less detailed.

When I click on the name in blue in the found results I get the picture of the commune and can zoom in and out.  It may be that you are using an older browser version - a lot of this new stuff only works on IE6 or later or Mozilla 1.5 etc.  You can check what version you are using of IE (I seem to recall that's what you use) if you click 'Help' in the top menu and 'Properties'.

You can always upload a more up-to-date version free from Microsoft.  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/default.mspx

The latest version of IE browser is 7 but 6 would probably do - the problem with IE7 is that it makes the dialogue boxes on the forum look funny and you lose some functionality like the forum smilies.  That's why I use Mozilla!

EDIT - Yes, Geothingies site says:

Site compatible avec les navigateurs IE6 et +, Mozilla1.7 et +, Firefox 1.0 et +, Safari 2.0 et +

Site compatible avec les plates-formes Windows 2000, XP et +, Linux famille RedHat, Suse et Debian, MacOS X

No, I'm talking right up on the menu bar for your browser, not on the webpage.  The one that goes file, edit, view, etc or the equivalent in French.  The last one is "Help" or "Aide".  Click it and scroll down to properties and it'll tell you what version of the Internet Explorer browser you are using.  You need IE version 6.0 or later to use the Geoportails site. 

You should think of updating to version 6 anyway (and maybe signing for automatic updates on the Microsoft site).

Thanks for all your trouble Cassis.  I knew what you meant, but all I have at the top of my webpage is

Fichier      Edition     Affichage    Favoris    Outils         and then "?"            err... that must be it, talk about dumb and I'm not blond !  I'll go and have a look there    [:$]

Tell you later, have to go now, thanks again.