Several American friends (one who lives in France) I know have g.mail email addresses and it would suit me to have one (one client s server has banned BT [:(] ) but when I go to sign up the UK is not on the list of country options - am I missing something ?

Could I get an American friend to have the code sent to their mobile or maybe they could invite me in ? Any ideas to get me registered with this ???

Thanks in advance

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Several American friends (one who lives in France) I know have g.mail email addresses and it would suit me to have one (one client s server has banned BT [:(] ) but when I go to sign up the UK is not on the list of country options - am I missing something ?

Could I get an American friend to have the code sent to their mobile or maybe they could invite me in ? Any ideas to get me registered with this ???

Thanks in advance

[/quote]

If you e-mail me I'll send you a Gmail invite, I still have about 90 left!

OK - thanks to all, I am signed up - now how do I get it to automatically forward mail to my normal (BT )account ?

I know there have been occasions where ISP's will not communicate with each other which has proved awkward for B&B and Gite owners, I'm surprised there haven't been more questions about this as it looks like a solution.

OK - thanks to all, I am signed up - now how do I get it to automatically forward mail to my normal (BT )account ?

I know there have been occasions where ISP's will not communicate with each other which has proved awkward for B&B and Gite owners, I'm surprised there haven't been more questions about this as it looks like a solution.

[/quote]

If you go into 'Settings' on the top right of the screen once you are logged onto Gmail via the internet, then 'forwarding and POP' you can set up an auto-forward to your other e mail address. I have mine set up using POP access in MS Outlook, (same goes for Netscape or Thunderbird) so that all my e mails are in the same place and I automatically respond with the correct account.

With Google mail you can connect directly with a POP3/SMTP client (e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.) There is no charge for this facility and you do not get ads appended or nothing nasty like they. All you need do is to add a new account to your list of accounts to collect mail from (and you will then get a new account to send from as well).

However, I found Gmail POP3/SMTP irritatingly un-reliable. It was not actually that bad, but tended to have a few "bad hours" every week or so. This left my Outlook trying every few minutes for ages and reporting loads of errors. In the end I gave up using Gmail due to these periodic problems. I actually had two Gmail accounts (work one and private one) and they both went into this "failure" state at different times. Whenever there were these problems their web mail interface worked fine so it is not their mail servers. Thus, if you can direct received mail on to another account it might be a good idea - though probably depends on how you intend to use the e-mail addresses.

Ian

[/quote]

I was telling some US guests of ours back in May about the lost bookings I have experienced due to the fact that my wanadoo emails weren't getting through to certain ISPs.  They sent me an invite to gmail that same night and I haven't experienced any similar problems this year.  I also now have gtalk which is similar to Skype - free online phonecalls between gmail customers!  I can't understand why more people don't use these way so f making phonecalls.  I can't seem to get anyone that I speak to regularly interested in signing up.  I think they all think there's some hidden charge or something.

[quote user="Russethouse"]My existing set up still works (hotmail comes into a hotmail folder in my OE )- is this something new ?[/quote]

According to the link posted earlier, accounts set up before the change will continue to function in Outlook and OE - but for a limited (undefined) time only.

oh blow !

Actually I get very little mail to that account but I would like to maintain an account in that user name - can you have two google mail accounts ?

[/quote]

I think you can, as long as you comply with their rules and policies.  Of course, the name you want to use may already be taken.