connecting french ORION magnetscope.--HELP PLEASE

HI YOU EXPERTS.

Last week my toshiba video broke down.

today i bought an Orion VPX-4OO which is secam/pal model.

I have had a new since july french thompson tv which works with former set up.i.e.

scart from tv to sky digibox for free english programmes,

scart from tv to dvd player,

ariel connecter on back of tv to output on video,

scart from PANASONIC  skybox to video.

booklet only in French and when new Orion video switched on  nothing on screen.

With Thompson tv I  can seect from the bbc sreen showing by pressing a button on top of tv to AV2,AV3 OR AV3-S.

I TRIED AV2 BUT NO MENU ON BLUE SCREEN TO FOLLOW SET UP AND CHANNEL SET UP ETC.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.

THERE IS ON THIS VIDEO ANOTHER SCART CONNECTER OUTLET WHICH IS AN OPTION FOR GOING TO TV BUT SINCE PREVIOS SET UP WORKED I DO NOT WANT TO DESTROY ANY SETTINGS O TV.[:(]

I presume you have two scart sockets on your TV as you say one is connected to the digibox and one to the DVD player. And an in and an out scart connector on the video?

I would try connecting the digibox to the video scart in, and the video scart out to the TV. Leave the TV-DVD scart connection in place. The aerial connection is not really necessary for watching sky or videos with this arrangement, but if you want to see or record French TV then connect the aerial to the video 'in' aerial socket, and connect another lead from the video aerial 'out' to the TV aerial socket.

I'm sure that is how we have got everything connected - it's easier to do than to explain. The DVD should come up on one AV channel on the TV, while the digibox or video output should come up on another.

I suppose I should point out that the original poster had everything connected pretty much in the way that is normally recommended, i.e. very similar to clair's link. The way I suggested was given to me, when our video didn't seem to work properly, by somebody who really is an expert (I wouldn't know where to start, myself). In effect, it swaps over the digibox and video. It solved the problem for us - I don't know how or why, so it's worth trying both Clair's and that version to see what is best for you.

Basically your input signal should go from the digibox to the TV via other recording/playing equipment so Digibox - video - TV or Digibox, DVD player, TV.  If you follow that path, you should be fine.  You can try using aerial leads between the pieces of equipment as well as the Scarts.

Slightly off track but I have never been able to get my video recorder to record from the digibox (i.e. any UK satellite TV). I have set it up as shown on Claires link as well as some other options but never got anything recorded, anyone got an answer as to what I am (or am not) doing right?

I am not 100% certain this is relevant:

when I bought my Philips video player in the UK, I had to turn on the 'automatic recording from satellite' (Enregistrement satellite automatique) faciliy via the setup menu.

When I bought a Philips DVD recorder in France, it had no such facility and Philips told me their French models that did were 'top of the range'. So I cannot 'press the red button' to record a late night program on a Sky satellite channel on my Philips DVD recorder.

I have since looked at combined video recorder- DVD player, and none have the 'auto-record from satellite' facility.

The hard-disks DVD recorders that do are around €450-500 within the Philips range (which I prefer for various reasons)

However, if this is indeed the reason why you cannot record from satellite, there is a solution, although I have not tried it, so cannot comment on it:

Phantom video sender

[quote user="Wils"]Slightly off track but I have never been able to get my video recorder to record from the digibox (i.e. any UK satellite TV). I have set it up as shown on Claires link as well as some other options but never got anything recorded, anyone got an answer as to what I am (or am not) doing right?[/quote]What are you doing now?  If I knew it might be easier to determine where you are going wrong - I have no problems with this myself - videos, DVD recorders work fine.

Yeah, bloomin' things.  You'd have thought after all this time that somebody would have come up with something better.  Even the best quality ones still fall out at the least provocation.  It's always struck me how with a computer, a similar type of lead (don't know its name) has two natty little screws to stop the things from shifting - why hasn't somebody come up with a similar solution for SCARTs?

This is what I would do :

1. Connect TV to SkyBox via SCART and Video to SKY box via SCART.. Leave Co Ax Ariel lead connected to TV but do not connect to Orion yet.

2. Check Skybox still works with TV. Then switch off SKY box and play a prerecorded tape in new video recorder. If this works then and only then connected a Co Ax Ariel lead to video recorder and let it go through self tuning cycle.

3. In general either connect the items together with SCARTS or with Co Ax - only exception is video recoder and TV where TV needs to be able to reach Co Ax to view terrestrial TV and video needs to be able to reach Co Ax to record Terrestrial independantly.

4. To make video recorder record SKY the box needs to be on and tuned to what you wish to record. There is normally a seeting called 'AV' or something similar which will record what comes down the SCART rather than a channel from the Ariel.

Best of luck in cane be done.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Yeah, bloomin' things.  You'd have thought after all this time that somebody would have come up with something better.  Even the best quality ones still fall out at the least provocation.  It's always struck me how with a computer, a similar type of lead (don't know its name) has two natty little screws to stop the things from shifting - why hasn't somebody come up with a similar solution for SCARTs?[/quote]

Exactly the conversation I had today - installed my nice new VCR➜DVD recorder, and no sound. The d**n thing had come loose when I pushed the unit back into place. Not one of them fits properly, and they cost a fortune. I think I'll get the video and audio leads and do without in future.