Wireless Mouse

Does anyone on here actually have a wireless mouse that doesn't eat batteries or just die? I'm now on my third one and it eats batteries like it's on a weight-building program. I've tried Microsoft, Labtec and Logi-tech and have yet to find one without these problems.

The Logi-tec infra-red one I use with my laptop is superb and only has one AAA battery in it, but I can't use it on my PC because of the location of the USB ports. This has a small USB plug-in receiver that fits into the back of the mouse when not in use, and turns the power off.

I use a very small Logitech mouse that takes two AAA batteries. I have tried to use rechargeable ones and theit life is pretty pathetic, but a pair of proper batteries seems to be OK for several weeks of regular use.

[quote user="Hoddy"]I have a Logitech which takes two AA batteries, I use rechargeables and they seem to last ages. Hoddy[/quote]

Ditto, I have two on different computers and they last ages. I have 4 spare batteries that stay in the charger all the time and I just swap them over as needed about every 8 weeks or so. I never turn my computers off either so the mice are on all day and all night as well. I use NiMh 2400ma rechargables much better than NiCad which will run down on their own even when not installed in anything (they have a high internal resistance).

I find that rechargeables last longer than ordinary batteries in high drain devices like cameras and torches (and obviously work out cheaper) but in low drain devices like remote controls, clocks, mousicles and keyboards ordinary batteries are better.  I've no idea why this is.  However, I still use rechargeables in the mouse as they still work out cheaper.

I have a Logitech rollerball mouse which is great if the desk space is limited (better for the wrist, too), just put new batteries in it; can't remember the last time I did it - probably Spring - and it's used at least an hour a day. It's one of the few places where I use good quality batteries.

Sometimes the message 'low batteries' is fixed by picking the receiver up of the floor, untangling it from the mare's nest of cables and putting it back on the desk in line-of-sight !

p

I've solved the problem with my mouse. It just needed a rest. I'd put new batteries in but it still would not work. Fitted new rechargeables, still not working. Left it on the side of my desk for three days whilst I used an old wired version and then this morning it's working perfectly. Wierd or what.