Wifi routers

I use a Netgear DG834G v2 wireless router. It works very well, except for the small snag that it doesn't have much of a range. We live in an old house with 50cm stone internal walls, and the reception through them is nil, which rather limits the value of the thing. Does anyone out there have successful operation in this sort of environment, with this or any other router, please?

It's been covered before but the basic rule is to get your router as high as possible. Mine is ceiling height and works fine through three 50cm stone walls. They don't like metal-framed stud walls. Just experiment.

Good luck.........................

Having a similar problem with Livebox . I improved my signal enormously by putting the livebox more central to the house and also upstairs.

I have been also looking at the latest Netgear DG834PN Router Modem which apparently has seven internal ariels and deflects the signal around the house using MiMO technology at 108mbps as opposed to 54 . These say it improves the range enormously and I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this router.

[quote user="Punch"]

I have been also looking at the latest Netgear DG834PN Router Modem which apparently has seven internal ariels and deflects the signal around the house using MiMO technology at 108mbps as opposed to 54 . These say it improves the range enormously and I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this router.

[/quote]

Hi Paul,

Don't have one of these routers but I have read many reviews and labs test of the product, all praise the manufacturer for living up to their claims for this Router.  How unusual!

http://www.netgear.co.uk/common/pdfs/DG834PN.pdf

Regards

How easy is it to set up a wireless network if your ISP is Orange?  If you're a techno-idiot, that is.  I have a wireless network using a Netgear Router in the US, but a techie from my US ISP basically walked me through the setup via telephone.  I won't have that luxury in France.

Also, if  I buy a Netgear router in France, will I be able to set it up in English?  (I said I was a techno-idiot.)

[quote user="Kalyn Computers"]

The procedure for setting up a wireless network in France is the same as it is in the US. You could buy a Netgear in the US and bring it to France and it will work, no probelm!

HTH

Tim

[/quote]

I don't think US routers will work on French current, but thanks.

ive got an unused netgear dg834 GT router this is the turbo model and was bought to combat the same problem ive not used it as we ended up with a router provided by the service provider it is boxed with all paper work (french) and surplus to requirements if this is of interest to you pm me