Re; can't close web pages

I am using internet explorer having just got broadband from Teleconnect.

I can load up the web pages I want but can't close them. There is no little cross at the top right hand corner so I end up with lots of windows open.

Can anyone help?

[quote user="Pagnol"]

I can load up the web pages I want but can't close them. There is no little cross at the top right hand corner so I end up with lots of windows open.

Can anyone help?

[/quote]

You never had the problem with your previous ISP?  Which version of IE are you using?

If you go to File (at top left of your screen), what do you see in the drop-down menu?  Is there a Close or Close Tab command?

[quote user="Pagnol"]

Can anyone help?

[/quote]

Try pressing F11 - that toggles between full screen and normal view in IE6 and IE7 - it is a possibility...

EDIT - Alt followed by F brings up the file menu, then press X to exit

If these don't work, there is something strange going on... good luck

Danny

I don't understand this at all, did Teleconnect supply you with a setup CD and did you use it ?

Like any other ISP (AOL excepted - Spawn of the Devil !) Teleconnect simply provide a means to access the Internet and as far as IE is concerned it really doesn't care who that provider is.

Have you got he blue bar across the top of the screen ?

If you have then it's completely bizarre if you haven't also got the X to close the window. Are you sure the window isn't just oversize for your screen so it's got lost over the right hand side ?

If you have got the blue bar then you can close a window by clicking on the tiny IE Icon in the very top left then choosing "Close" from the drop down menu but of course you shouldn't have to be doing this......

I'm quite curious now !

[quote user="Pagnol"]

Never had a problem with previous provider, AOL.

Its I.E.6.

All your suggestions close everything, not just the web page, so I have to open up internet explorer to get back on.

[/quote]

Pagnol

I am a bit confused here. You say that everything closes- not just the web page and then you have to open internet explorer again. That is normal behaviour for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is a web browser. Software which 'reads' web pages. So when you open IE, it displays whichever home page you have set. Then if you go to a different page it displays that page. Then to stop viewing web pages, you close IE. Sorry if this is all obvious but...

I have a feeling that you have been used to using the AOL software which comes with its own browser . I am sure this behaves differently to IE...

I still don't understand why your IE does not have a blue bar at the top with an X in the corner to close the program. Did you try the F11 thing? did you then get a title bar (BLUE BAR at the top of the page) with an x in the top right corner or not?

Let us know

Danny

"I have a feeling that you have been used to using the AOL software which comes with its own browser . I am sure this behaves differently to IE..."

Danny

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I have only ever used AOL, not my fault, chosen by my son many, many years ago.

I am used to looking at web pages, closing them and moving on. Now I seem to open page after page and I am not able to close them as I used to. I have the blue bar but it closes everything. As you may have guessed I am not computer literate at all. Thanks for explaining.

Hi Pagnol,

You mention you’re using Internet Explorer 6.  If you upgrade to Internet Explorer 7, which you can download from the Windows Update site, this will give you what they call “tabbed browsing”.

This allows you to have several websites open at the same time and you can move between them or close any particular one by clicking on the relevant “tab” – it’s the same idea as moving between Microsoft Excel “Sheets” if you are familiar with that.

You can choose whatever you want as your “home page” (as you can with IE6), but you can also set IE7 to open multiple “home pages”, so for example when IE7 opened, LF, EBay and Google would open automatically and you could move between them by clicking on the relevant “tab”.  You can also set IE7 to open as a blank page with the mouse pointer in the address bar if you prefer.

You can read about it here:  http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/IE7XPSP2FS.mspx

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Kick internet explorer into touch and use Firefox. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ Best browser out there imo.
[/quote]

I really don't see any significant difference between the two nowadays. They are both very customisable. I use both here. For the benefit of the original poster, both IE7 and Firefox 2 function in exactly the same way - i.e. both display web pages!

Danny