Best internet/phone provider?

For my home in Indre et Loire (37) - just south of Loches - I want to get a landline telephone with Broadband (I have established it is available in my area).

I will want a package to use whilst it is still my maison secondaire and then going full-time when I relocate there early in 2008.

Please can anybody suggest who is the best/cheapest provider?

Thanks,

Mel

Hi Mel,

We have a second residence in dept 36 and we have a deal with France telecom whereby before we go over to France we ring a number and ask them to open our line and when we return home we ask them to suspend it , we are only charged line rental for the time we are there which is useful , and calls to the UK are a little more expensive but not too bad . If you use this deal you have to make sure you ask for your line to be Opened and suspended otherwise any other choice of words ends up in your phone being dis connected, but by and large it is a very convenient and easy way to do it when you are back and forth.

We set it up by going to France telecom office in Chateauroux which was relatively easy.

Regards

Billy10

Billy

I will be looking in to this for our house in 85 as my husband wont let me have a phone line put in because of the costs when we are not there, sounds really good, could you post some more info on the particualrs please,

looking foward to july and france

judith

Hi Judith, Hi F1,

Concerning the telephone from what I remember when we set it up at the France telecom office it was pretty much a standard deal for people who were back and forth, We find it good because we are only over 4 times a year for a maximum of 2 weeks at a time, what you have to watch is that say you go to France on 1 st of the month and stay to the 16th or so you only pay for the month you are there , but if you go over on 28th of Jan say , and returm 8th Feb then you will pay two months rent, we are a bit careful and try to limit it to one months rental per visit by only opening and suspending the line within one month.

It is a good system for anyone with a holiday home or who go over a few times in the year, I will have a look and see if there is a particular Tarriff description that we are on although I only see the bill when I go to my house as France Telecom take it by direct debit which is alo very convenient.

Regards

Billy10

Hi Mel

We are also in dept 37 just South of Loches!  We use Teleconnect France and have found the service very good, both for broadband internet access and telephone calls.

Their contact number is 0805 02 4000 from France or 0844 837 8810 from the UK. I think they have a website but I don't have the address.( I guess you could google it)

Hope that helps 

Hi ,

no I dont get internet with my deal , but I will be looking to do this when I gat to France permanently in September, a friend told me that there is a service to provide broadband, and telephone with free calls to the UK and other countries whereby you dont have to pay France telecom line rentals , dont know how this works or how valid it is unless someone out there knows more ???

Billy 10

@ ErnieY - I was surprised too (and I'm no lady!).   Actually when mme poivre originally posted I was going to quip back with the classic French riposte to this sort of thing  which of course is: 

<<Il faut changer du........   (mari,  medecin, etc)>>

Kiss [kiss]  hi guys

As i love my husband, i do have to humour him occasionsly, and money is a big bug bear with him, (shouldnt i be saving my money to  do the french house up instead of visiting it as often as i can) i do earn my own money so will when the time is right have a phone line put in because i want one.Whistles [Www]

Smile [:)]judith