From Texas to the Aude

Frank, when did you make the move, as I have heard it has got more difficult to obtain a LTV as a retiree, on the same basis the French clamped down on early retiree Brits, as they perceived them as a potential drain on their health care system even though they used to allow them to affliate by paying the 8%. I can't think they would allow Americans to still affiliate, but not allow EU citizens who retire early?

Rdupre, don't forget that as a US citizen you will still have to pay US Federal taxes when you live in France.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US citizens can deduct French taxes on their US returns.  I'm not sure how that would actually affect one's overall (combined) tax burden.

For US citizens the French taxes (not so much on income as on tangible and intangible property) are probably the biggest obstacle to living in France (apart from any other hoops the French government might impose).

I don't really expect to be in a position to live in France (family obs, etc.), but might like to have a long-stay visa in order to consolidate our twice-annual visits into one.  I don't quite understand how one gets health coverage for a 91-182 day stay in France.  Although our supplemental insurance would reimburse US for part or all of any French medical expenses, they certainly would not pay French providers directly.

The irony, of course, is that, on the whole, medical costs are so much lower in France than the US that one could probably afford to be self-insured in France, something that none short of multimillionaire status (and I do mean MULTI) could risk in the US.

[quote user="Sprogster"]Frank, when did you make the move, as I have heard it has got more difficult to obtain a LTV as a retiree, on the same basis the French clamped down on early retiree Brits, as they perceived them as a potential drain on their health care system even though they used to allow them to affliate by paying the 8%. I can't think they would allow Americans to still affiliate, but not allow EU citizens who retire early?

Rdupre, don't forget that as a US citizen you will still have to pay US Federal taxes when you live in France.[/quote]

Hi, Sprogster! Alas, the tax thing is never far from my mind but thanks just the same.

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

US citizens can deduct French taxes on their US returns.  I'm not sure how that would actually affect one's overall (combined) tax burden.

For US citizens the French taxes (not so much on income as on tangible and intangible property) are probably the biggest obstacle to living in France (apart from any other hoops the French government might impose).

I don't really expect to be in a position to live in France (family obs, etc.), but might like to have a long-stay visa in order to consolidate our twice-annual visits into one.  I don't quite understand how one gets health coverage for a 91-182 day stay in France.  Although our supplemental insurance would reimburse US for part or all of any French medical expenses, they certainly would not pay French providers directly.

The irony, of course, is that, on the whole, medical costs are so much lower in France than the US that one could probably afford to be self-insured in France, something that none short of multimillionaire status (and I do mean MULTI) could risk in the US.

[/quote]

Hi tenniswitch! Thanks for the info. I hope by the time we retire we've got all this worked out. We've got about 10 years to go

Rdupre, 10 years is a long time to plan ahead, especially when the rules are in constant change.

At the end of the day one of the main considerations will be that of your and your partners health, as if you have any chronic health conditions at the time you look to retire and move, it will be difficult if not impossible to obtain comprehensive private health insurance in France. This can include common conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes. Also you would need to think very hard about abandoning the safety net of medicare, to which you presumably would be entitled in the US when you both retire.

I am fairly certain that if you moved to France as a retiree with an LTV, under the rules introduced last year, you would only be able to remain for as long as you were able to obtain comprehensive private medical insurance, and that would be reliant on you and your loved one maintaining good health.

But then this is all fairly logical, as I can't see it going down well in Texas, if retiree Brits were allowed to come to the State and expect the government to pay for their health care!!

Hi Sprogster! By the time we retire I expect either medicare to be radically different from what it is today or to be completely non-existent. (Err, what's an LTV??) It's not so much that we want in on the government's health care as it is that we want health care coverage while we are in France.

As it is now we can only stay 90 days out of a six month period and that includes all the Schengen countries, not just France. Perhaps we will have private insurance on this end and it will cover what we need to have covered.

Thanks,

ruth

Rdupre, to be honest it is not worthwhile going into any detail now, as ten years is too far ahead to obtain any meaningful advice, as the rules will invariably continue to change.

As to whether you and your wife will be able to move full time to France when you retire in ten years time is anyones guess, as no one knows what the immigration rules will be in the future.

A lot will depend on your health and financial circumstances at the time, which for none of us are guaranteed.

[quote user="Rdupre"]Hi Sprogster! By the time we retire I expect either medicare to be radically different from what it is today or to be completely non-existent. (Err, what's an LTV??) It's not so much that we want in on the government's health care as it is that we want health care coverage while we are in France.

As it is now we can only stay 90 days out of a six month period and that includes all the Schengen countries, not just France. Perhaps we will have private insurance on this end and it will cover what we need to have covered.

Thanks,
ruth
[/quote]

I think that LTV=long term visa.  (These Brits are big on initials. [:D])

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote user="PlanoTexas"]I am very interested in moving from Texas back to France. I have dual citizenship and HVAC/ Renewable Energy experience. Any ideas of companies I can contact?[/quote]

Hi, welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of unemployment in the region so unless you speak French like a native and have a lot of knowledge and experience you may find it difficult if not impossible. That aside and hoping you are fluent in French then I can suggest the French version of Yellow pages, the link is below. At least you will know who the companies are and you could try sending off CV's (in French of course).

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/

Good luck.