From Texas to the Aude

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ruth - I used to work in Plano (Xerox and DSC/Alcatel/Lucent) and my favourrite memory is checking into my regular hotel (known then as The Registry) and wondering why everyone was in full evening dress at 3:00pm.  I soon realised the hotel was being used as a set for a Dallas shoot.....

Happy days!

Sadly not, and I never got around to visiting Southfork either! 

I liked Dallas more than most USA places (my wife is in love with NYC and still visits every year but it's not for me) probably because I spent a lot of time there.  In the 1970s I discovered the joys of hotel valet parking (couldn't understand where the valley was!) and found out that ordering toast in the morning could be a long affair if you didn't know what sort of bread you wanted - I had no idea how many varieties there were.  England seemed very drab by comparison.....

I used to go to Texas on business fairly regularly but mainly to Austin which I absolutely love. One of my business associates became a good friend and I used to visit his house up in the hill country which was very nice. I went a few times to Dallas but never got much time to see the city. My "worst" visit was to a meeting in one of the airport perimeter hotels which lasted just one day. So I never actually left the airport.  Painful.

Good luck in your French adventure.

@TonyInFrance-- Don't you love those Texas accents? We still get the giggles and we've been here a long time (although we're not native. Louisiana takes that honor.)

@Derek-- Austin is a great place!!! So much going on entertainment-wise these days!!!

I have a French friend who has an upmarket B & B and gîtes.  His spoken English is passable and his understanding of the written word is fair to good.

Then, last year, he had his first Texan guests and he understood them not at all!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I have a French friend who has an upmarket B & B and gîtes.  His spoken English is passable and his understanding of the written word is fair to good.

Then, last year, he had his first Texan guests and he understood them not at all!

[/quote]

Texas must be the American equivalent of the Berry region.

How do you know about Berry, Richard?  You live miles away.

Me, Charentais is incomprehensible enough.  But, there again, it could just be that FRENCH is just about comprehensibe on a good day!   GGGRRRRGGGG[:-))]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

How do you know about Berry, Richard?  You live miles away.

Me, Charentais is incomprehensible enough.  But, there again, it could just be that FRENCH is just about comprehensibe on a good day!   GGGRRRRGGGG[:-))]

[/quote]

I live in Berry region. Indre is in the Berry.

Makes me laugh how normal French people can't understand a word of it either. They all sound drunk.

But then again, I don't understand Geordie, so exactly the same.

Excuse my ignorance, Richard.  I didn't realise that Indre is in the Berry.  I have this AA book on touring in France or some such and, for Berry, there is this picture of a little vertically challenged chap with a huge belly (berét too) standing beside some goat's cheese (yes, I'm sure it is goat's cheese) and smiling into the sun.

Just a thought, that isn't a picture of you by any chance, is it, Richard? [:D]

Hi Ruth,

We are Americans (Florida) who retired to France and know all the ropes. We also had a vacation house that we now live in full time. When you decide to actually make the move you must apply for a long term visa from the US. You cannot do this in France. We had to travel to the Counselet in Miami (you had to go in person). You fill out the forms and must prove that you have health insurance. Once you get the LTV you can move. You have a year to bring your personal effects into France without customs duty. Once here you go to your local Marie and apply for your Carte de Soujour. You need to supply a utility bill that shows your residence, four photos and your bank statements showing you can support yourself without being a burden on the state. You must also apply to the French Health System. It costs non French people 8% of your income, paid quarterly. There is usually a representative that comes to your town once a week who will handle this. The first time they will use your latest US return and then they require a copy of your French return (which you must file, declaring all you income worldwide but taxed only on your French income). You will receive a Carte Vital and you will be on the system from then on.

Good luck, I hope you either speak French or have someone close by who does as the people at the local Maries are very unfamiliar with American immigration.

Frank