Free security software

[quote user="spg"]

[quote user="Onion van man"]Personally I prefer to pay for good quality security products. [/quote]

Something along the lines of Nod 32?

Sue

[/quote]

Yes, or Kaspersky. Although NOD32 has a very small footprint on system resources as well as updating several times per day automatically.

[quote user="spg"]

[quote user="Onion van man"]Personally I prefer to pay for good quality security products. [/quote]

Sue

[/quote]

I used to use NOD32 but then I came across Prevx1 which I much prefer tbh - it's very easy to use, very discrete and well behaved (unlike many), uses little resources and at 19.50€ a year I find it very reasonable. As always you can try it free for a month -  http://www.prevx.com/

Obviously, if you can get something that does the job for free rather than having to pay for it, then the expression is I think is a 'no brainer'!

I go by results and over the years I have helped many friends and family with pc protection systems - many of them paying for systems that came pre-installed on their pcs. I have used AVG/Zonealarm combination probably dozens of times and have always found it to be effective, whereas, just a month or so ago, one friends fairly new machine with one of the paid systems installed let something through and then it refused to do anything about. As they were in England I managed to talk them through it's removal over the phone. They now have AVG and a faster machine.

I think a major issue people have had is that the bought systems have become 'bloated' and in every case I've come across, the machine has run much faster once removed.

I agree with some who say that the free protection systems are not a full package but there are other 'bits and bobs' available that fill that gap very effectively.So, all the time it works for me (tempting fate here!!) I shall continue to spend my limited funds elsewhere.

Tim

[quote user="Gemini_man"][quote user="spg"]

Sue

[/quote]

I used to use NOD32 but then I came across Prevx1 which I much prefer tbh - it's very easy to use, very discrete and well behaved (unlike many), uses little resources and at 19.50€ a year I find it very reasonable. As always you can try it free for a month -  http://www.prevx.com/

[/quote]

That is a good point which I forgot to mention. Most of the good software companies you can have a free month trial. In my experience it shows how good their products are.

My moto is... 'If I can't try it then I won't buy it'

EDIT:  I have just had a look at Prevx. they must be very confident as its free to use until it finds its first threat then you get 30 days from then ! [blink]

I'm with Timco, I heard about AVG/Zone alarm here and am now a very happy user (touch wood) The guy who looks after this computer on the very rare occaision I need help or something extra, also recommends the same combo - as a home user, it works for me......

My own theory is that as they are paid products, MacAfee and Norton are targeted......but that could be wide of the mark......

I was long time user of Norton but gave it up 3 or 4 years ago when it got just too bloated and resource hungry, I have used AVG ever since.

My only criticism of AVG is that it could be a little more discreet during it's updates, I don't think it really needs to be so "in yer face", but it's a minor niggle I can live with.

The more cynical are wont to argue that some virii are written by the AV software companies themselves to promote the sale of their products but in the words of the late Ian Richardson, AKA Francis Urquhart, House of Cards, "You may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment" !

[quote user="ErnieY"]

I was long time user of Norton but gave it up 3 or 4 years ago when it got just too bloated and resource hungry, I have used AVG ever since.

My only criticism of AVG is that it could be a little more discreet during it's updates, I don't think it really needs to be so "in yer face", but it's a minor niggle I can live with.

The more cynical are wont to argue that some virii are written by the AV software companies themselves to promote the sale of their products but in the words of the late Ian Richardson, AKA Francis Urquhart, House of Cards, "You may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment" !

[/quote]

I think most people only use Norton because a 3 month trial is usually installed on most pre built computers and they just get used to it. It's a house hold name that people link to Anti-Virus products. Mainly down to blanket advertising.

When I tried AVG I too found it a bit ' in yer face' for my liking but, I suppose you won't be able to forget it's there.

Well, I'm going to try prevx on a machine that hardly gets used and see if it gets a virus or threat anytime soon, Because apparently its free until you get a virus! Wonder how long till they mail me a virus (Joke) [:P]