Digital camera problem

Don't know a) if this is the best section of the forum to post this and b) if anyone is able to help, but here goes:

We have a Konica Minolta dImage Z3 digital camera which is not allowing

viewing through either the viewer or the screen on the back of the

camera.  It will take pictures, but obviously we have no idea what we

are getting until we view them on the PC.  Is it likely that this

problem is repairable or does it mean buying a new camera - latter

option is very frustrating as we've only had it about 3.5 years, we

don't use it that much and we take good care of it .......!  If it is

repairable is it likely to cost more than a replacement?  We'll have

send it for repair by post as there is nothing in our local area (65).

Thanks in anticipation.

CBC

It is tough to say.  We've had a couple of repairs done on Nikon digitals and they've both been pretty cheap, although neither problem sounds remotely like yours.  I've looked for a local Phox but as you say, none in your area, nor can I find anybody in the photography mags.  Best thing I could recommend would be to send it away and set an upper limit on your repair cost - a "don't do it if it costs more than x" kind of thing.

I checked a few camera forums, and found this http://www.fixya.com/support/t199663-problem

Could it be that the CDC has died, and needs replacing?  It might be worth reading this too http://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/English.importantnotice_en.0.html  as, although your model isn't mentioned, it does seem as if there was a manufacturing problem with some CDCs.

thats a bummer.  Try a full reset returning the camera to the factory defaults and make sure the battery is good and fully charged.  After that its a case of whats it worth to you vs repair costs vs buying new.  Your call, but if  it were me, I'd be looking at buying  new.

[quote user="Cat"]

I checked a few camera forums, and found this http://www.fixya.com/support/t199663-problem

Could it be that the CDC has died, and needs replacing?  It might be worth reading this too http://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/English.importantnotice_en.0.html  as, although your model isn't mentioned, it does seem as if there was a manufacturing problem with some CDCs.

[/quote]

I think you mean the CCD - charged coupled device, and if it were that it wouldnt be taking pictures at all.

Restore factory settings - how?  I took the batteries and memory card out for more than 48 hours, would that have done it?  I also forgot to mention that the screen is white as against black, does that give rise to any further ideas?  I should also add that we called KM customer support/helpline in France and our waiting for a technician to call us back (since Friday).

Thanks to all for replies (and sorry for double-posting, Cat).

CBC

Blimey, just stumbled upon a form for things digital and somebody recommended WOTS (whack on the side!), I gave a bit of a "tap" and I can see my screen again.  Whether all is 100% well is difficult to say at the minute, but hopefully no damage caused.

Thanks again to all who replied.

CBC

Check your manual to restore factory defaults, it'll be there somewhere lost in the multi menus that seem the norm on digicams [:'(]

Well, the term WOTS is new to me, but as an ex electronics repair Engineer, yes its the first thing we do !!!   I'll be usings WOTS from now on [:D]. 

But, seriously, just see how it goes, my guess is that the problem will return, just when you need the camera.  There must be some form of dry joint / bad connection  somewhere in the screen circuitry, not an easy thing for the repair techi to say with confidence,  yes I  repaired that problem, because, dry joints / bad connections always have a habit of returning ....

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]And I doubt we are talking about the size of circuit board to which you can apply a standard soldering iron....[/quote]

ah well no, and thats why electronic stuff  like this is throw away.  The cost of repair, which probably means new innards, plus techi  time will be a large portion of  the cost of new, and then considering technology advancement over the 3 + years,  makes it a no brainer.  I bet the manufacturer one longer makes bits for that  model !  Buy  a new one, shame, but thats the world we live in today.