Buying a TV in France: TV licence

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but does anyone know if, when you buy a TV in France you have to fill out a form that proves you are paying a TV licence, or that automatically sends your details to the licence database?[8-)]

In the days before the TV licence was automatically added to your Taxe d'habitation notification, you were asked for your name and address at the time of purchase and, some months later, you would receive a payment request.

Not sure how the details are collected now... [8-)]

It's dead easy to opt out, you just tick a box on your tax form, I have been for ages.  However now we are thinking of getting a TV.  Many of them seem to have TNT integrated.  I'm not particularly interested in TNT (French digital), but I wondered if having it would mean it was impossible to have a satellite dish and an English digi box set up.  Basically should I avoid a TV with built in TNT if I am want English TV?????

The drawbacks to a TNT only set that I am aware of.  If you use the coaxial cable outlet from the digibox to power a second TV in a Kitchen or bedroom then you need a set which has a PAL I tuner. If you live in a region of France which has not yet switch on you will not receive French TV. If you previously received French TV Ok you may need an improved Antenna for TNT.

Againsts this if you have a TNT set and ever take it back to the UK it will work there after they have turned off the analogue transmitters. 

No, a TNT set will work fine with a satellite digi box - I do exactly that here. If you are really not interested in the French digital channels, then you could save the extra expense and buy one without.

All sets have scart sockets and that's the connection to the external digi box.

Tim

P.S. someone has ressurected a previous thread where a similar question was answered by Anton and myself, so you will also find the information there.