Problems with e-mail

Hi,

I am having multiple problems with my e-mail (Outlook Express). I am still having problems forwarding  e-mails to people. I keep getting a message with the code 0x800CCC6F which I have googled and can't understand a word of the 'answers'! I have also noticed that to the left of my incoming e-mails there is the 'paper-clip' icon denoting an attachment. In fact when I double double-click on that there is just the actual e-mail. I have recently deleted Norton Anti Virus in favour of AVG and I wondered if this is the problem. It had never occurred before I deleted Norton AV.

Help please before I attack a bottle or two!!

tuppence (previously known as cartref)

Tuppence, which Internet Service Provider are you using?  Orange?  Free?  other?

If you open Outlook Express and follow the Tools, Account Settings link for your account and go to the Advanced Tab, what port are you using for your outgoing mail?

Also, if you go to Tools, Options, do you have opening attachments enabled?  (Sorry, I can't remember exactly what the links are as I've started using Outlook instead of OE). 

(Edited to add: Oops, I may have misread your post about attachments.  You didn't say that you can't open attachments, did you?  Just that you're getting an attachment icon on emails, even when they don't have attachments.  Apparently that usually happens if you receive messages in HTML, but you've set OE to read all messages in plain text.)

Hi,

Regarding the error message it means the mail server doesn't like the address you are attempting to forward the mail to, there are many and varied reasons for this.  Just keep trying to forward your mail.

The attachment paper clip is the AVG message:
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.2/1270 - Release Date: 10/02/2008 12:21

Another problem with O.E. or Windows Mail is, that to protect your PC from attachment that may contain a virus Windows in their wisdom have a default setting which block 99% of attachments, so I suggest you change the settings in your  - Tools>Options>Security tab, by UNCHECKING the box alongside 'Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that may potentially be a virus' It is then up to you which attachment you open using common sense.

Regards

It may be that you need to look at which port you are trying to use. Orange has recently closed its port 25 (the normal email port) and if you are trying to use a pop3 address that is not thiers it will be stopped.

Who is your email account with?

Jim Barron

www.walkauvergne.co.uk

Hi,

Currently my e-mail account is with Yahoo. I have had no problems whatsoever up until I uninstalled Norton AV last week. My ISP is teleconnect with an outgoing  mail account of mail.visp.tiscali.fr as opposed to a yahoo smtp.My main problem has been the inability to forward mail. However, having spoken to a friend he seems to think that my AVG may consider the incoming mail as spam and that sending it on to other users may constitute some sort of incompatibility problem with their ISP's. I am happy now to let the problem rest as I can still send and receive e-mail with the attachment 'paper-clip' icon problem solved. It would be nice one day if these software companies let us know what to expect when downloading them though[8-)].

thanks  tuppence

I don't think it's an AVG issue. I have been using AVG on my own computers for ten years or so. I have also installed it on many friends and famliy's computers and have not experienced this problem on any of them. I'm wondering whether it's something that's been 'left over' after removing Norton. Although I've never used Norton myself, I do know it can be particularly difficult to completely remove from a computer. In fact, a special 'Norton Removal Tool' has had to be developed just to clear the computer of Norton's remains.

Perhaps someone else on here has better information about this?

Tim

Ah, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I've a quick search on the web and easily found this  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Perhaps, when you get time, it may be worth reading this through thoroughly to ensure that it applies to your computer and, if it does, giving it a go.

I'm always very cautious about recommending things that involve delving into computers in this way from afar because I would not like to feel responsible for any ensuing problems, but this Norton problem seems to be very widespread and researched, so hopefully if you try it, it should work.

Tim

[quote user="tuppence"]

I have also noticed that to the left of my incoming e-mails there is the 'paper-clip' icon denoting an attachment. In fact when I double double-click [/quote]

AVG often adds an attachment containing the scan results.

Also NEVER, NEVER, EVER open an attachment unless you are 100% certain of the source & are expecting an attachment from the sender.