During a thunderstorm on Monday I foolishly tried to finish some work that I was doing on the computer.  There was a loud "pop", like a light bulb blowing, and the screen went off for a couple of seconds then came back on again at which point I switched off.  Since then the little box that comes up showing what speed I am connected at when I dial-up to the internet is only between 16 and 21 (previously it was around 48). I have done a pc doctor check and it is telling me that the modem has passed.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise if they think it possible that something has "blown" even though everything seems to be working, just loss of speed.  I am clinging to the hope that it's something to do with the 'phones lines and that it will sort itself eventually.

Hope that you can understand my non-computer speak.  Regards Hester.

Whilst it's not impossible for your modem to have suffered some damage I think it's unlikely. In these sort of circumstances it's usually sudden death.

What's more likely is that, possibly as a result of the storm, a junction box somewhere has got water in it and is affecting your line. Hopefully it should dry out on it's own over time but if not you could get in touch with FT and ask them to check it.

How is your normal phone, crackling at all ?

Thanks ErnieY, yes the phone is crackling! Although it becomes clear if I unplug the computer line from the double adapter.  Hopefully there could be a chance of it righting itself from what you say.  Regards Hester.

You could have a damaged ADSL filter, that's the thing that  sits between the incoming phone line and you plug your phone and PC into.  For 5 euros or so it might be worth replacing.  The other essential item is a power cleaner, preferably one that will protect the phone line too.  The best 30 euro investment you can make as far as computers are concerned.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]You could have a damaged ADSL filter, that's the thing that  sits between the incoming phone line and you plug your phone and PC into.[/quote]We're talking dial up Pierre, not ADSL [Www]

If the crackling stops when you unplug the modem then logic dictates that it's the modem causing it.

Is the modem internal to the PC or external ?

Not sure if you are using a laptop or a PC but the following applies to both.

Modems are dead cheap these days but before you buy another see if you can beg/borrow/steal an external one and try that instead.  If the situation is much improved then the internal modem is cooked and needs to be replaced (cheap and easy job for PC, a lot more if a laptop) or continue with the external one, it makes no difference.

As for the power cleaner/protector, it looks just like a multi way extension lead (usually 6 sockets but can be more/less) and you just plug it into the wall socket then plug the PC, monitor, printer and associated gubbins itno that.  What it does is protect the extremely delicate electronics in the PC etc from huge voltage spikes that occur from time to time on the mains supply, particulaly in times of storms.  The better ones also allow you to plug your phone line into them then on to the modem so protecting against spikes on the phone line which is what maybe happened to you.  These power strips don't cost much really and I would never even consider using a PC without one.  Raw mains supply is just too, well, raw sometimes.

Having got a bit fed up with the number of power cuts we had/have (13 micro cuts in one night) I installed battery back up supplies for the children's computers and also "mine".  Am I right in thinking that an UPC also protects against these spikes?

Thanks

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]The other essential item is a power cleaner, preferably one that will protect the phone line too.  The best 30 euro investment you can make as far as computers are concerned.[/quote]

Some questions (Pierre or Ernie):

* What is the French for power cleaner?

* Presumably as most of my plugs are British (I have a British laptop and printer but a French modem), I should buy a British power cleaner?

* Can I buy one online to be delivered to France?  (I could get my husband to buy one and post it, I suppose.)

You don't need to get one from the UK Cathy, for about €8 or €9 Mr Bricolage sell a simple device which plugs into a French socket and has a line in/line out socket and also a pass through to plug another plug into so protects both the power supply and the phone line. Do make sure that the socket you plug into is earthed though otherwise it (and any other surge suppressors) are completely ineffective.

I don't know what it is called in French but to give you the idea HERE is one from Maplin.

[img]http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/n44cj.jpg[/img]

Honestly why people insist on clinging on to UK 13a plugs escapes me I'm afraid. Fair enough, you have little choice for things like phone chargers etc. which come with an integral 13a plug, but for anything else just cut it off and fit a French one, it will be far safer than a christmas tree of adapters !

Note, most of the travel adapters you buy BTW do NOT connect the earth pin on a 13a plug !!!!!!!!!!!