One of the reasons no-one has answered this is possibly because there is no such thing as an 8mm camcorder.

Do you mean an 8mm film camera, or a Super 8, or a camcorder using tape, or DVD or HD?

In any case I doubt if anyone is going to give you their camera.

Dick,

That is why I mentioned I am willing to purchase it.  8mm is very old technology and it is possible somebody who has upgraded may have an old one they no longer need.  I have a mini-dv camera and a broken 8mm camera and would like to get the film off my old 8mm tapes.

Thanks,

Sharkster

Sony marketed the Video 8 and the hi bandwidth version Hi8 during the '90s before digital technology overtook it. 

Try ebay. I'm sure you'll find something suitable there.  Be aware that you'll need a Hi8 playback machine if the tapes you have are Hi8.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I might be able to help - we're just trying to find the old thing to check out the format.  If it's what you want, I'll pm you as I'm sure we would be able to come to a suitable arrangement![/quote]

Great thanks, I will look out for your PM.

[quote user="Sharkster"][quote user="cooperlola"]I might be able to help - we're just trying to find the old thing to check out the format.  If it's what you want, I'll pm you as I'm sure we would be able to come to a suitable arrangement![/quote]

Great thanks, I will look out for your PM.
[/quote]I've established that it's the right format (I found its instruction book yesterday) but am still trying to locate the thing itself and establish the state it is in!  But do not fret, I have not forgotten you - it is just taking a little time to turn my house inside out - well, more inside out than it normally is....

Sorry about that cooperola has helped me out with my need for a Video 8 - 8mm camcorder, we were just completing the formalities off the forum, plus plotting to wipeout all the nearly retired:)....oops, was not supposed to reveal that:)