Livebox/Wi Fi problem

Hi

I have a Livebox which is connected to my laptop by Ethernet cable and the internet works fine.   BUT how can I get Wi Fi??  The lights on the livebox are wifi light is solid, telephone light is solid and @ light is solid.  Whenever I unplug the ethernet cable, it tells me 'local Area connection - a network cable is unplugged' and I lose my internet connection.

My 'wireless network connection icon' tells me that I am connected and the signal is excellent!

Also, I never installed the Livebox onto the computer, it wouldn't let me, and when I connected to the internet without it I thought I didn't need it.

Am I missing something??

Swooky

[quote user="swooky"]

Also, I never installed the Livebox onto the computer, it wouldn't let me, and when I connected to the internet without it I thought I didn't need it.

Am I missing something?? [/quote]

Have a look at this thread - especially the post by Jane and Danny - it should help:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1232454/ShowPost.aspx 

this is how to do it in French:

http://www.dslvalley.com/dossiers/orange/livebox-orange.php

Sue

These are all you need to make a livebox wireless!

[img]http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/images/ht1098_cutters.jpg[/img]

Seriously, all you need to do is let the wireless on your computer detect the network, insert the 26 digit code (twice) which is found on the bottom of the livebox, hit ok, press the one button on the livebx to pair the two and that should be it.

Hi and thanks for the tips.

Bear with me!!  I have never had a problem connecting to wireless networks and understand how easy it is to let the laptop pick it up and then key in the WEP code.

I have an update in that my livebox now has two solid lights - one on the @ and one on the wifi bit.  However my wifi connection now says 'not connected' and when I open up my wireless network connections and click connect, instead of brining up a box asking me to key in my WEP number, I get a message saying 'unable to connect to the selected network, the network many no longer be in range.  Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again'.  I am sitting right next to the livebox, so this is not a problem.  I think it is something to do with the configuration somewhere.

I looked at the suggested links and went into the configuration box and my channel is 10 and wi fi is active.  So I'm completely stumped.  Any other suggestions?

A very grateful swooky!

I don't of course know why your troubles have started recently,  but after endless and ultimately futile battles with my Alice box (two of them,  the first was replaced but to no avail) I followed advice on this forum and bought a separate wireless router (modem-less) to plug into Alice and then do the distribution for me.  

€40 well spent,  no more battles for hours on end to get the WiFi to work,  and four instead of a measly one Ethernet socket.

I don't like having to spend money to bring Alice up to scratch but it's saved a lot of heartache.

Netgear WGR614 - thanks again to the peeps who helped me with that one.

[quote user="gosub"]I had a problem connecting my new Toshiba laptop to the livebox, it just would not connect every time, I changed the channel to 3 and it's now OK. [/quote]

Gosub is right; it is recommended to change channels if you have a problem connecting. I use channel 1 with my Toshiba laptop and that works fine for me.

Sue

Thanks again for your replies, much appreciated.

I have however, tried all the channels to see if that is the problem.  But they try to connect and then stop, so I've put it back to channel 10.

ALSO, I am one step closer in that it is asking me for my WEP key when I try to connect (I've not got this far before).  I typed in my WEP key and a new message came up saying

'the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits on your network configuration.  This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.'.

Any ideas what this means and what they wants LOL!!

Swooky

You should have a code which is 26 digits long, so you need to select hexadecimal and enter the code.  I find it easier to open notepad and type the number there and copy it across.  This way you can be sure you have all the digits right.

Saying that though, we have a Livebox and after 2 years of owning it, it started making all sorts of odd noises and crashing on the wifi side.  Wanadoo/Orange would not do anything unless I went through their diagnostic with an engineer on the phone, but the problem for me would have been the French, so I opted for a wireless router and have not looked back.