[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]I used to use a mac at work over 10 years ago, and its interface was years ahead of Windows.[/quote]You've hit the nail on the head [:'(]

I think a lot of MAC devotees hark from the days when the MAC was the de facto standard for DTP and demanding graphic applications but things move on.

[quote user="Cathy"]Back to topic...  Do laptops get damaged if too hot?  Do they cut out beforehand?  Mine gets really hot, especially under the anglepoise lamp late into the night.[/quote]Yes, quite possibly. There is not usually any specific thermal cut out but what happens is that the processor and/or other chips inside, get hot to the point where it/they just cannot cope anymore and the machine crashes. It can be a matter of luck whether any actual irreversible damage occurs [geek]

Heat is the arch enemy of precision electronics and extreme cold/hot cycling can be particularly damaging which is why there is a strong school of thought which advocates leaving computers switched on or in standby rather than turning them off completely .

I would suggest if your lamp is exacerbating the problem then you take immediate steps to prevent it, there are many less heat producing (= cheaper) ways to provide light !

Did I have to say that [blink]

Gary

How do they work?  I can't quite understand the description.  Are they a pad that you plug into your laptop and then place the laptop on top of?  Are they noisy (I work on my laptop in a bedroom when children are asleep)?

[quote user="Bugbear"]

With the chance of repeating myself.............................................

Get one of THESE, brilliant and totally solve the problem of heat retention

Gary

[/quote]

mmm... interesting customer review half way down the page

Danny

The theory of laptop cooling pads is sound enough but I would question the efficiency of those which operate from the laptop's own USB ports as opposed to their own discrete supply. There is limited power available from a USB port (5v x 0.5a = 2.5w), which frankly is just not enough to run a fan capable of moving any meaningful quantity of air. Indeed, the additional 2.5w power draw and heat generated, could conceivably exceed the cooling effect achieved.

The point made in the review about no-brand laptops is a good one. I

have had 5 different laptops, all branded, and operating them in innumerable different situations have never had any

overheating problems with any.

[quote user="Jane and Danny"][quote user="Bugbear"]

With the chance of repeating myself.............................................

Get one of THESE, brilliant and totally solve the problem of heat retention

Gary

[/quote]

mmm... interesting customer review half way down the page

Danny

[/quote]

Quote: "It didn't work at all. My laptop actually heated up the cooling pad"

Isn't that exactly what you would expect if heat was being transferred from the laptop to the cooling pad?

[quote user="tenniswitch"]Actually, I think it was the batteries that caught fire[/quote]Yes it was just the batteries and the laptops didn't need to be switched on either which was particularly worrying, think aeroplanes and overhead lockers for instance, not good places for a fire to break out.

As your link explains it was down to very minor imperfections in the manufacturing process and as the majority of all laptop batteries originate in a small number of Far East factories it was surprising that more other brands didn't experience the same problem than actually did.

To get back to the original post (and ignore some of the anti-Mac prejudice which always seems to arise from some quarters) - is it a Macbook or a Macbook Pro? My Pros have metal cases and these are factored in to the heatsink requirements. I'm not sure about Macbooks. They also heat more doing some jobs, internet and heavy battery charging use more 'stuff' I guess.

Also - be aware - if it is an older Mac there was an issue over overheating batteries a couple of years ago. The replacement scheme has finished, but it may be worth checking.