Modem Mystery

I wonder if anyone can help with this. My modem seems to have developed an aversion to the computer. Lost the internet connection, thought it was a cable problem so changed that, no difference. Moved the modem to another room - worked perfectly - [in fact this is being sent via that modem from a different machine]. Moved the modem back to the room with the computer - wouldn't work. Moved it further from the computer and eventually it worked, somewhat reluctantly. Plugged in the ethernet cable and lost the connection. Removed it and was able to connect again. Back in, lost it again. I get the feeling that my modem is trying to tell me something but I've no idea what. Any ideas?

Patrick

It's a wild guess and others may have a better suggestion,  but if we're talking ADSL here could there be a new source of interference in the room where you're having trouble?  Transmitters and ADSL don't go well together (I have one that can bring my Broadband to a grinding halt in Devon) so is there something similar radiating RF (TV,  cordless phone,  FM transmitter,  even a fluorescent bulb nearby) that could be causing the problem?

Otherwise I would have the phone socket to pieces and check the contacts and cabling,  try a phone cable extension from the room with the working phone socket,  etc etc.

Thanks for the reply. Nothing has changed in the room in question. I have tried a phone extension cable and an RJ45 - same result. The modem has been working successfully in the same room with the same set up for more than a year. Could it just be giving up the ghost?

Patrick

Hi,

I think your modem is trying to tell you that the Computer is at fault not the modem, if it works perfectly with another P.C. then I suggest you check the settings on the original P.C.  Not knowing what your P.C. configuration, operating system or model nor your Modem make and model it would be difficult to suggest a solution.

Regards

Do the following

START/RUN

type   'cmd' <return>

this will bring up a 'DOS box'

type 'ipconfig /all' <return>

this will return a lot of stuff including the ip address of the modem which will be something like '198.162.1.1' (in fact it may be exactly that)

type 'ping 198.162.1.1'

this will test if the PC can 'see' the moden and vice-versa.  If it does then it will say something like

'4 packets sent 100% received' 

If it doesn't then it looks like your network card may be fried. 

Come back after doing the above for the next step

I followed your instructions and everything seemed ok: "sent 4 packets, received 4 packets".

This is a real mystery because the modem works fine in an adjacent room but stops as soon as it is in the room with the computer. Just to make it clear, this is being sent on a laptop which is connecting wirelessly. The PC does not have wireless capability.

Patrick

Update. My wife, who knows absolutely nothing about computers, suggested it could be the external hard drive which was interfering with the modem. Somewhat reluctantly I unplugged the power supply to the external hard drive and hey presto the modem connected. I noticed when I unplugged the AC adapter that it was rather hot. Could it be that that was causing the problem or would it be the hard drive itself?

I shall never hear the end of this.

Patrick