Upgrading memory on Laptop

I have a Sony Vaio laptop which is running particularly slowly. I have done the usual maintenance and run several programs to eliminate any obvious problems but to no avail. The next step is to upgrade the memory. At the moment I have the factory 2x256m but would like to uprate to 1g through 2x512m. However, if I buy a 1g it is a lot cheaper than 2x512, but I am advised by our local computer shop that manufacturers recommend 2 cards to make the maximum, not 1 card. Is there any truth in this or are they making more money on selling two cards!

Be careful because some systems (laptops and desktops) require memory modules to be installed in matching pairs or you can get some horrible problems. I don't know about the Vaio though. Best to do a search on the Sony website.

When you say it's running slowly, is this a recent thing or a particular program that is slow?  Unless you're running memory hungry applications or lots of stuff at the same time I wouldn't be looking at the memory as the culprit I think.

[quote user="Ceejay"]I have a Sony Vaio laptop which is running particularly slowly. I have done the usual maintenance and run several programs to eliminate any obvious problems but to no avail. The next step is to upgrade the memory. At the moment I have the factory 2x256m but would like to uprate to 1g through 2x512m. However, if I buy a 1g it is a lot cheaper than 2x512, but I am advised by our local computer shop that manufacturers recommend 2 cards to make the maximum, not 1 card. Is there any truth in this or are they making more money on selling two cards!
[/quote]

I too have a Vaio mine is old now but it did need two cards. If you could remove one, although you will only have 256mb the machine would still boot if the configuration is valid. Try the Kingston memory site ( http://www.kingston.com/ ) you can put all your machine details in and it will tell you what you need.

If it is a memory upgrade that's needed then as Clair has indicated the crucial site is very good and you can check exactly what you need in English by looking at www.crucial.com to find what is needed and then order it via the French site. I have just don exactly that for out tower PC, but as said it is the same for laptops. Just enter the details.

Also, asQuillan has said Kingston is good stuff, but I have no experience of their site.

An interesting mention of Norton? I kicked their 'stuff' into touch a few years back because I got so fedup with it. Likewise I had the full Mcafee suite but it was like having your mother sitting directly behind you and slowing EVERYTHING to almost a standstill. When I asked the Mcafee  help desk about how to speed things up they suggested stopping parts of the suite that I had paid for, on a permenant basis! No reply was the answer when I asked them if they were going to re-emburse me for the downgrade!

I agree with Jon about Norton and McFee taking up valuable processor time. Before you do anything else, run highjackthis,  program, its free.

http://www.merijn.org/programs.php

This will show you all the programs which start when you switch on the computer. Have a look and see if there are any you are not familiar with. You can delete them if necessary. It could be the case where some programs have been surreptitiously downloaded onto your computer unknown to you.

Another very good program which often finds nasties which are overlooked by other virus checkers is malwarebytes antimalwre.  This is free and can be found here:-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

MOD EDIT: link repaired by a moderator

Thanks for all the replies and no I am not running Norton. The problem arose after I installed Skype and a Labtech webcam so I am inclined to think that all the modern day programs require more than the 512m factory fitted RAM.

I have now ordered 2x512 from RAMSHOPPING.FR which supply Kingston units and they detailed exactly what I require on their site and deliver under 7days........maybe!