I have only ever once come across the situation where internet was possible, but phone calls not, this was about 3 months ago. In the cable somwhere between the pole box (outside on a pole probably) and your telephone, there is a break in one of the tiny copper wires. Only 2 wires are needed for Internet and phone line, the internet wire is good, the phone wire is lacking.Place your phone in the line test box (the first socket on the line into your house) if it still doesn't work, the problem is between that and the pole, and fortunately for you your phone providers responsibility.

I agree Earny! If you had only one wirw, whichever it is, then you don't have a circuit!!!

Try changing the filter that the phone is plugged in to. What that does is to filter out the digital part of the signal for your PC and leave the analog signal for your phone. If that has gone toes up then the phone will not be connected to the line. If you have the phone and PC on 2 different connectors then you have 2 filters, one for each, swop them.

As a matter of interest ADSL does not use a modem. A modem (MODulator DEModulator) is only used on a dial up line and it changes the incoming analog signal from analog to digital!!! The incoming signal for ADSL is a digital signal superimposed onto the analog signal for the phone and that is where the filters come in by seperating the 2. That's why you need a filter on every phone/answerphone/ fax that you have in the house/office.

Before investigating anything else I'd try plugging a phone directly into the line. If that works then the problem is within the setup in your house somewhere.

Agreed on the modem thing JJ but for the sake of simplicity and for those who are totally unfamiliar, please let's just call it that shall we [blink]

[quote user="ErnieY"]
Agreed on the modem thing JJ but for the sake of simplicity and for those who are totally unfamiliar, please let's just call it that shall we [blink]

[/quote]

I'll drink to that Earnie, as long as I can share your one drink!!!

If the phone is plugged straight into the phone socket sans filtre you should get a buzzing on the phone too. That will be the digital for the ADSL...

I've often had my phone plugged in directly and not noticed any untoward buzzing or noises. I usually leave it that way if we go away for more than a day or so to keep the answerphone running without risking the 'modem' getting fried in a storm, as has already happened once.

I'll put another straw in the glass if you drop the surplus 'a' from my name [;-)]

[quote user="bourrut"]Hi guys,dont seem to have any filters on phones,have also tried tel direct into socket ,have checked wires seems only a purple and white wire in house,also when lifting phone it sounds if someone has a phone of the hook.[/quote]

You say that the phone doesn't have a filter? The filter is a bit that plugs into the phone socket (looks like the normal French phone plug, but with a small, RJ45, socket on the underside and a normal phone socket on the opposite face to the plug contacts [ blimey, talk about complicated?]).

You also say that you tried the phone direct into the socket? How was it plugged before???

I am not sure what colours you would expect to see, especially if it is an extension, because the French have a tendancy to use any colour that takes their fancy inside the house and not only for phones either? As long as there are 2 wires and the phone worked before this happened then they must be the correct 2 wires[8-)]...

When you say off the hook do you mean an engaged signal?

Just thought? Do you have another phone that you can plug in and try?

John still no filters found,orange box plugged into socket, , phone plugged into,orange socket,have tried other sockets in house,have tried another phone in sockets,have tried without orange box,the sound is not an engaged signal but more like someone is not talking,have blamed my pal,have kicked the cat.but still no joy.malcolm

I think that we may be getting somewhere now!

Your phone operates via the Livebox and you don't have a seperate phone that you can use independantly from the Livebox, correct???

If so that would explain why you got an engaged tone when you plugged the phone straight into the wall socket. You don't have a 'basic' FT phone line??? The line is still physically there but it is disabled for analog calls at the exchange and you don't pay the line rental, that's bundled in with the VIOP phone through the Livebox.

Try a power on reset on the Livebox first.       Unplug the Livebox from the mains and disconnect all of the cables. Leave it for about a minute and plug the power back in followed by the other cables. It will take a few minutes before it is back up and running properly and all of the lights on the top are back to normal, i.e. 1st, 2nd and 4th lights from the left hand end steady and the 3rd flashing occasionally.

Now try the phone and let us know what the situation is?

OK, the next thing is to look at the configuration on your livebox. Dead easy to do, just go to your internet browser and in the address line at the top type in the numbers  192.168.1.1 with no www or anything.

This will give you the Livebox main config page. Click on the red line of print.

The 'User name is 'admin', password is 'admin' all lower case and you will get the main Livebox page.

The second option down on the list is 'Phone over ADSL' and should be enabled.

Is it enabled?

When you go on to the internet and on to any of the forums you get an address across the top of the screen. This is in the 'Address Bar'. If you just click on the 'address bar' it will go blue around the actual address. Just type in the  192.198.1.1 and press the enter key and that will bring up your Livebox screen. Just follow what I said from there...