Hi Nigel,

We have a Gnome, bought on eBay. It is a very handy little gadget, particularly in terms of portability. I take it outside, I take it to the ironing board, and it occasionally comes into the 'bathroom' with me. It usually gets recharged overnight.

However, it does have a couple of disadvantages. Firstly, the TV and Gnome have to remain tuned to the same channel. So it's no good me wanting to sit in the sun and listen to the afternoon play, for example, while my husband watches something else on the television. Secondly, we are less than impressed by the sound quality. Spoken radio programmes are tolerable, which is fine as I mainly listen to BBC Radio 4, 5 and the World Service, but anything musical is quite painful and better avoided.

Hope that helps a bit.

Angela (83)

[quote user="Angela Bennett"]

However, it does have a couple of disadvantages. Firstly, the TV and Gnome have to remain tuned to the same channel. So it's no good me wanting to sit in the sun and listen to the afternoon play, for example, while my husband watches something else on the television. Secondly, we are less than impressed by the sound quality. Spoken radio programmes are tolerable, which is fine as I mainly listen to BBC Radio 4, 5 and the World Service, but anything musical is quite painful and better avoided. [/quote]

Two friends of ours each have a gnome and have said how useful they were for the exact same reasons as Angela; but these 2 ladies both live alone so do not have the problem re competition from an OH wanting to watch a different TV channel whilst they listen to the gnome. Having experienced hearing their gnomes I was put off by the poor sound quality - it really was quite ragged.

Sue

[quote user="Angela Bennett"]

..... Secondly, we are less than impressed by the sound quality. Spoken radio programmes are tolerable, which is fine as I mainly listen to BBC Radio 4, 5 and the World Service, but anything musical is quite painful and better avoided.

Hope that helps a bit.

Angela (83)

[/quote]

hi Angela

I had exactly that problem and quite liked classical music which of course it ruined.  However after a drawn out process with Sky, insisting it was nowhere near a power source etc etc they eventually replaced mine and it worked fine.  In fact have to say I was very pleased with the replacement, but sadly I've now turned the sound down and can't get it back up again.  While fiddling with it I ended up turning it down so far it's now useless and of course there is no longer any support.  Inside is a sealed unit so unable to do anything at all.

A great shame because it genuinely was very useful [:(]

If your Gnome does not seem to be working, check that it has not set itself to a different channel from the digibox. I don't mean the programme itself but the Gnomes can use 4 different possible transmitting channels to overcome any interference problems. I have come across several people whose Gnomes appear to be dead for this reason. If you look in the book, it tells you how to overcome this problem.

If you want to listen to music at good quality just connect your digibox straight to your hifi amplifier. Alternatively the little transmitter things that are sold to use with things like iPods can be connected to the digibox output. You can then use any FM radio to pick up the signal and thus listen to the radio channels elsewhere.

Alternatively there are now some Internet radios available but they are a bit pricey at present.

[quote user="Bilbo"]If your Gnome does not seem to be working, check that it has not set itself to a different channel from the digibox. I don't mean the programme itself but the Gnomes can use 4 different possible transmitting channels to overcome any interference problems. I have come across several people whose Gnomes appear to be dead for this reason. If you look in the book, it tells you how to overcome this problem.

If you want to listen to music at good quality just connect your digibox straight to your hifi amplifier. Alternatively the little transmitter things that are sold to use with things like iPods can be connected to the digibox output. You can then use any FM radio to pick up the signal and thus listen to the radio channels elsewhere.

Alternatively there are now some Internet radios available but they are a bit pricey at present.
[/quote]

Thanks Bilbo - I have tried all of the transmitting channels, it really is simply (and stupidly) turned down - I haven't tried one of those transmitter things though and for portable reasons that might just be a solution.  It was so nice to be able to take the Gnome upstairs in the morning with the tea!!
- We discovered that it worked at something like 200mtrs from the Sky box - couldn't swap programs at that distance, but the sound was fine.  Not suggesting the house is that big you understand, just out in the garden.