Is it possible for 2 people to have the same email address?

Since 15 december I have recieved 17 email messages purportring to come from my own email address. I have not opened them and they sit in my Spam box.I have not opened any of them, and therfore can only assume that the whole name is the same. They do not appear in my out box. Any thoughts?

[quote user="Jazzer"]Since 15 december I have recieved 17 email messages purportring to come from my own email address. I have not opened them and they sit in my Spam box.I have not opened any of them, and therfore can only assume that the whole name is the same. They do not appear in my out box. Any thoughts?[/quote] Two people cannot register the same email address, but if someone wants to use yours there is nothing to stop them. Its quite easy to send email messages, showing they came from another address, just delete them. You can also block incoming mail from your own address then you should'nt receive anymore. Once they find out the messages are not being delivered they will probably delete your address from there spam list.

Hi

Just out of interest, this type of mail is actually pretty safe, although annoying.

Generally the originators are hoping you open the message and are then interested by what they are trying to sell you.

Since sending bulk email is frowned upon, and ISP's will shut you down for doing it, the alternative is to spoof addresses etc, and send mail using methods which hide the originating locations, or at least make it too costly for providers to track them down.

At the end of the day the majority are trying as many ways as they can think of to get you to read their offers.