Networking - how?

Looking to network to a PC way beyond where Wireless signals reach from my Orange Livebox - I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to guide me as to how I should do this.

Is there any alternative to cabling? In the UK I see you can plug units into mains sockets and use the mains citcuit. Am I right in thinking that the separate circuit arrangements in French houses makes this impossible here?

If I have to cable, I'm assuming I need a router (any suggestions on the best value for money here?), but how long can the ethernet cable run be? I estimate I'll need maybe 25m of cable. Can this be done without some kind of booster device?  And how easy is it to make up your own cables? I presume buying such a length is fairly costly, so does it makes sense to make one up yourself or does this require expensive pliers that make it pointless for a one-off like this?

Any clues on any of this business would be most gratefully received.

All best,

Nick

When I was in Darty I saw two or three versions of the mains network sysatem for sale. I think the usual restriction is that it doesn't work across phases, if you have a 3-phase setup.

Actually, I believe the limit for ethernet without intermediate hardware is something like 100m. For a one-off I would expect that buying a properly terminated cable would work out cheaper than buying a drum, plus connectors and a crimp tool.

Another option would be to get a wireless access point (e.g. Netgear ) fo 50-60€ and only have enough ethernet to get within wifi range of the blind spot.

Thanks so much for these replies- you've got me thinking now..!

A second Livebox?  Not near a phone socket

How long? Well 25m or so..

Very interesting to see Orange's version of what I've seen in England - that's encouraging. Now I'm getting ambitious though and thinking I'll want to connect the distant PC to my printer which will be back in my study, next to the other PC and Livebox. So will I be forced to use a router with cable?

Nick

Daft question coming I'm afraid, but how do I tell if I've got a 3-phase set-up? What is this exactly? Sorry to be so ignorant..

Reassuring that I've got 100m to play with - more than enough. And it sounds like you are right about going for a made up cable if I do go that route.

Yes I suppose a wireless access point would do it, though I'm now thinking I'll definitely need a printer connection for this remote PC... so is it a router I have to go for?

Nick

1 or 3 PH ? :  Quick and dirty way, how many mains cables do you have coming into your house. If it is just 1 pair then you are single PH, if its 4 then you're 3 PH.

Using the correct antennas and cable and with a clear line of sight you can easily extend WiFi to several km [;-)]

For the end user there is no real advantage or disadvantage although improperly maintained and load balanced 3PH can be considerably more dangerous as instead of the normal 230v between L & N in 3PH there are is 400v or more between phases.

In words of one syllable 3PH enables an electric supply to be extended much further than 1PH.

If you haven't got it you don't need it [:D]

Network cable maximum length is 152M. You should knock of 5M for every joint excuding the ends.

The adapters that use mains cabling to send signals round the house can on be used on the same phase so if you have a normal single phase house its not a problem. If you have 3 phase then its by luck if both sockets you use are on the same phase. The other thing you should be aware of is that these box's can deal with up to 200Mb of data in to them but only transmit between box's at 85Mb which is probably OK for most people unless you have 100mb ADSL (like in Paris for example).

If you have a wireless PC/Laptop my solution would be to run a cable up to near a power socket say in the hall then use a wireless access point as already mentioned. You will be able to move round the house and like us you can even sit out on the terrace on sunny days if you wish.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

I've just been browsing through the Orange catalogue and discovered that they actually sell a mains WiFi extender, although it doesn't look cheap.

Can't find it on their Web site, but it's in the paper catalogue I got from an Orange shop a few weeks ago.

[/quote]

Look at my post on page 1 of this thread. What you seek will be found.

Bit of a gap since my last post, travelling home to France to get networking scheme under way, but now being driven mad by inability to run a second connection on my beloved Livebox to get my laptop connected.

Going to Network Connections, I  see both 1394 Connection and Local Area Connection both connected (should both be active?), yet Explorer will not connect, not Outlook, nor Skype.. I've disabled Zone Alarm, thinking it might be that, but no joy. It must be something simple and if some kind soul can put me out of my misery, I'll be eternally grateful.

All best,

Nick

Mmmm, beloved and Livebox, not 2 words one often hears together - it could even be a Googlewhack [Www]

1394 BTW is Firewire. Quite why it says connected I can't imagine but be assured that it is completely irrelevant to anything you are trying to do.

Can't really help with your connection problem I'm afraid except to say that I have experienced similar whilst trying to get a WiFi connection going for a friend but gave up whilst my sanity was intact.

Bon chance, I'm sure someone will be along presently to help you.

Have top share my excitement with you - have got over the first hurdle of my second PC not seeing the internet! Thanks to a wise chap on, dare I say it, another forum.. So for abnyone with a similar problem here is the solution:

Going onto the Livebox page via my main PC (typing 192.168.1.1 into my browser)., I spotted thart my Livebox was TV over ADSL enabled. This was stopping me connnect a second PC to the Internet. Disabled that, rebooted the second PC and I'm smiling!

Thanks to all who offered help - hope this is a useful nugget of info to add to the memory banks when dealing with other troubled souls like me!

All best,

Nick

Not sure what your problem was but presume that you must have had a problem with a WLAN. The enabling of a bog standard Ethernet function on the default TV/Video activation of the second Ethernet port is fairly frequently done by ADSL subscribers in France who live in non degrouped areas where the band widths are normally under 2 Mega and not accordingly suitable for IPTV.

Indeed sitting in font of the fire watching TV I can disactivate the ADSL TV function on my Alice Sagem 3302 box in three clicks of the touch pad using a WLAN connection at 54 Mb/s from the portable at hand.

French Modem-Routers supplied by ISP's, popularly known as "boxes" conventionally offer a Triple Play option; ie broad band ADSL, VOIP telephone and Internet TV/Video. In default one of the LAN/Ethernet ports is activated for the TV service; however in most of rural france the available band width is insufficient to support the Internet TV option, effectively leaving a LAN port redundant and unusable.

It is sometimes beneficial to disactivate the TV/Video function on this port to free it up for alternative use.

Alternative uses might include the following:

1) Connection of a second local PC in close proximity to the port.

2) Establishment of an additional Ethernet net to serve one or more PCs at greter distance, some tens of metres.

3) The connection of a WLAN Router to the "box" as a supplement to the WLAN function included with the "box"; this allows an independently powered Router to be located close to group of WLAN enabled PCs. Possibly for use in summer to give extra range to serve pool or garden use of portable PCs.

4) Connection of CPL unit to the box with a similar CPL plug with signal transmission through the power circuit.

5) Connection of an independently powered Hard Disk server.

• 2 weeks later...

Having got my 2nd PC working on Ethernet, in preparation for putting it in another room from the Licvebox, I'm now wondering whether I might be able to do the job without ethernet cable.

So, trying to enable the wi-fi connection next to the Livebox to start with, I'm not getting anywhere - most frustrating. Pressing the button under rthe Livebox so it emits the signals, I go into Network connections, enable the Wireless Network Connection and being given my Livebox to connect to, I enter my Cle de securite Wifi. The yellow ball starts moving beneath the icon in my tray at the bottom of the screen, but it just doesn't connect...

Can anyone point out something obvious I'm missing - or even something complicated?!

Nick