Intermitent Internet

We like to listen to Radio 4, we don't have TV, but our Orange internet is always blipping out so the radio programme stops and we have to re-start.  Same whether it's Listen Live or Listen Again - most irritating!

We chose Orange as people said it's the most reliable;  can anyone recommend any of the cheaper options?  Also cheaper phone than France Telecom.

There are many cheaper alternatives but that may not solve your problems. It may be that you cannot get a very reliable service if you are far from the telephone exchange. I assume you are on broadband. If not, ignore this response.

Put your tel number in here and see what it says about your telephone line. On the results page, click on 'plus de details' - just under 'Haut Debit pas ADSL'

post the 'Informations techniques' results here if you want and we may be able to advise you better what is possible on your telephone line.

Danny

Well, this is what I got:

Caractéristiques générales de la ligne :

Code Commutateur Local :82094LZE [Fiche détaillée]
Nom Commutateur Local :LAUZERTE
Longueur de ligne :894 mètres :

5/10 sur 362m, 4/10 sur 532m
Affaiblissement théorique :12.4688 dB
[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL :8161 kbps (1020 ko/s)
[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL 2+ :24842 kbps (3105 ko/s)

Not sure what that means.  When OH phoned one of the companies advertising cheaper internet access (via Italy, I believe) they said we had good reception.

well from that, it seems you should have no problems with broadband speed and the problem lies elsewhere. Has this started happening recently?

There may well be a problem on the line. Or at the exchange. Do you have the correct filters in your phone sockets?

Have you contacted Orange. If there is a problem with the livebox, they will replace it also at the FT or Orange shop.

I use Alice and have found them very reliable and cheaper than Orange. But there is no guarantee of great service with any of the providers.

Danny

Hallo, Nice to talk. This is our first venture onto these sites. We have been following your recent correspondence. Our phone connection is cut every evening at about 6.30! We have been in touch with Alice/Tiscali which has been difficult because they will not discuss the problem in English. We have tried to complete the form you suggested. It picks up our area and house but we do not have a house number so cannot complete the list of questions. Any ideas please?

many thanks, Bobby

Strange, the Degrouptest site always used to work without an address, seems they no longer can test your line with just a telephone number...[8-)]

Testing my ADSL line gives "Malheureusement, il ne semble pas y avoir d’offre très haut débit disponible à votre domicile pour

l’instant..."

... which is patently rubbish.

Evening all! Thanks for info. Checked it out again. The site asks for the tel. no., post code, area / house details etc and a house number .... we do not have a house number for any correspondence. The degrouptest site gives the following infomation : Vous n'avez pas indiqué votre adresse postale complète. Le test trés haut débit nécéssite votre adresse complète pour fonctionner.

Pour renseigner votre adresse, cliquez ici.

It looks like we cannot fulfil this request. No doubt phone and internet will be off air again shortly. Bobby

Just put in your phone number, don't put your postcode in. This will give you the elegibilite for adsl on the telephone line. if you scroll down..........

The new version of degrouptest also asks for your address details so that it can check for availability for CABLE and FIBRE services. This is checked by address and not telephone number as it has nothing to do with the telephone line but checks whether or not the address is equipped for cable. The postcode can be left blank if you do not want to know if you can have very fast broadband services. Like us, if you live in the middle of nowhere - there is 0% chance of cables coming to our front door anytime soon.

"Vous n'avez pas indiqué votre adresse postale complète. Le test trés haut débit nécéssite votre adresse complète pour fonctionner.
Pour renseigner votre adresse, cliquez ici. "

This bit says you have not given your address so we can't tell you if you can get cable or fibre services (trés haut débit - i.e. very fast broadband via cable or FTTH - fibre to the home)

Just ignore it and scroll down the page to see what is offered for adsl

Danny

I can't better the advice on ADSL problems,   but if you want reliable Radio 4 then I really would get a dish and a sat receiver.    You don't necessarily need a TV as you can hook the audio outputs of the sat box up to a hi-fi system, and once it's set up you don't need the TV,  you just key in the channel number using the remote control.

I suppose I've always been interested in radio/satellite/transmission,   but in spite of that bias it really is the case that satellite delivery of BBC radio does the job far better than the internet,   unless you live somewhere with very stable fast Broadband.   The only thing that will stop reception is diluvian downpours,  in most cases about 15 minutes per year.

Sorry to be off topic but you did mention Radio 4!