Epson printer driving me mad!

Not sure if I am allowed to ask a question about printers here, but I am getting a bit desperate.

I have an Epson Stylus DX 7450.  Though I bought it in England, and am using it on a Brit-bought laptop (WinXP), for some reason it communicates with me only in German!   Having used a lot of Epsons in the past (and obtained O-level German in the dim and distant past), I am fairly successful at guessing what it is asking/telling me.

However, today it is refusing to print anything, claiming that it wants all sorts of new cartridges.  I have installed new yellow and cyan today (Epson brand), and it is now telling me (in German) that the black is so low that it needs black as well. 
It asked me whether I wanted to print black using the colours (hey,  isn't my German getting good!), to which I said "Ja".  But in spite of one or two whirrings, it wouldn't do it.

I think I probably ought to do a "forced" cartridge change for the black.  But the machine won't do its little shuffle-and-point trick followed by moving across to the right to let me access the cartridge holder.  Can anyone tell me how I can persuade it to do this so that I can give it a new black cartridge?

And actually, if anyone can tell me how to make it speak to me in English (or even French!), rather than German, I should be eternally grateful!

Angela

I can't find any information on language settings in the manual for my Epson printer.

You can contact their "Help" via your manual (via "All Programs").

I believe language is selected when the printer is installed. You may have to ininstall and reinstall to change it.

Great link, CJL!  Many thanks. 
It looks as if several others have had the same problem, and someone had come up with a fairly convoluted step-by-step guide. Thanks to that, I have succeeded in reinstalling the software AND it's speaking English!   Brilliant.   (I was coping fairly OK with the German until things started not working properly, and then its rather hectoring computer-speak was just beyond me.)

Angela

This is of no help, but we had a basic Epson ten years ago and it drove us mad.   In the end I was going to take it out to France and ceremonially DROWN it in the pool while we supped wine watching it go under.

Sadly Wendy (who's much kinder than I am) vetoed this idea and in the end we got rid of it on an elderly long-winded man in Devon. Of whom we've seen less subsequently!

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]This is of no help, but we had a basic Epson ten years ago and it drove us mad.   In the end I was going to take it out to France and ceremonially DROWN it in the pool while we supped wine watching it go under.

Sadly Wendy (who's much kinder than I am) vetoed this idea and in the end we got rid of it on an elderly long-winded man in Devon. Of whom we've seen less subsequently!
[/quote]

Brilliant!!!