Strange 'beeps'

Scenario:  Internet + landline with FT (orange). Computer hardwired to live box. Land line not voip. UK Mobile phone number (tesco card)

A few seconds before the landline rings, the computer speakers go 'beep beep beep', then the phone rings normally. Equally, a few seconds before a text message comes into the mobile, the same 'beep beep beep' on the computer speakers.

Its a pretty good warning system but why and how is it happening???????????

I suspect that what you are hearing is effectively interference from the phone. When receiving call or text messages there is an initial electronic signal exchange between the cell transmitter and the phone - sometimes (frequently?) the signal is strong enough and at the perfect frequency to be picked up as a stray signal by nearby electronic circuits - hence the beeps.

Regards

Pickles

Pickles, I think you are probably right.

It did seem strange that it should apply to both a fixed landline and a mobile (cell) phone which get signals from completely different sources, one or the other I could (possibly) understand, but both independently - very bizarre.

Patf, definitely not batteries, the beeps are from the pc speakers, mobile is fully charged and the walk-about house phone lives on its charger.

These beeps have been incorporated into a piece of music by Jean Michel Jarre (who else would do this???). It's on his Metmorphosis album released a few years ago. Can't remember the track title.

There's even a track where he's used the old dial up sound of a modem on the same album.

On a side note, I think his old stuff from the 70's and early 80's is much better than his new stuff.

R.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]This is all very odd.  My radio picks up 'bleeps' but the mobile does not always ring.  Someone suggested that it might be a call from a mobile without much 'reseau'.  Or else it's those little green men[:-))][/quote]

The little green men seem to have a LOT to answer for at present. However, the sounds that you are picking up on your radio are very likely also to be mobile-phone-related: IIRC, mobile phone cell masts send out what amounts to an electronic "who's out there?" polling signal to all the phones that are in range of the mast at frequent intervals to keep up to date the records of which phone is where (ie within which mast's cell it is located) even when the phone is not actively engaged in a call (but is switched on)> Hence if a call or SMS comes through, it can be routed to the correct cell. What you are picking up on you radio is your mobile phone effectively responding to this query by transmitting back a message saying "I'm here and this is who I am".

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Pickles"]

................................. is your mobile phone effectively responding to this query by transmitting back a message saying "I'm here and this is who I am".

[/quote]

Or "Je suis ici et ceci qui est je suis" in france, of course......................[:D][:D]