"portable dish for touring"

Hi there

Have any of you out there any experience of portable satellite dishes which are advertised as being suitable for touring etc. presumably for motor home users.

I have seen a 60cm portable dish for sale with all fittings and am wondering whether it would be suitable for use in central France.  It would be to run an ordinary Sky digibox and the reception on a normal dish etc is very good in the area.

Any experiences and/or help would be much appreciated.

Wendy

I have one and used it quite successfully all over southern France when we were house hunting. Latterly I used it to receive German TV (on hotbird I think it was) to get a football match for visiting friends.

I did find it could be a bit of a pig to align sometimes so bought a cheap sat finder which is worth it's weight in gold both then and since.

I have one (for a long time it was my Primary dish).  It is 45 cm in diameter and pulls in an excellent signal all over France (although not tried it in extreme south).  These days the signal from the Astra sats is so strong you don't need big dishes anymore, highly recommended!

I also agree with EarnieY that a sat finder is an essential bit of kit to go with this kind of dish.

Sitting on top of our campervan here in Dordogne we have a 35cm dish ( yes thirty five) and we have so far managed to get all UK freesat channels as far south as Camargue! - (Size isn't everything!) and it's a doddle to line up using the satellite receiver's inbuilt signal monitor - all you need is a compass. Point the dish just left of south till you find a signal then gradually alter the pitch /direction till you hit the satellite you want, lock it down et voila, it normally takes me about two or three minutes