Problems with emails, Thunderbird and Orange

Can anyone help please? I am trying to use thunderbird for emails, went through the set as shown on the screen and can receive mails with no problems.....but as soon a I try to send one, it just gives an error message and says it cannot find the server and the configuration must be wrong. Have checked and checked, i can only send emails through the Orange mailer....must have doen something wrong, but what?

Colin

Hi,

No you haven't done anything wrong, Thunderbird is for receiving emails, if you read the blurb it talks about your inbox.  To send email you have to use your SMTP client server, in your case Orange.  There are many and varied email services but as AFIK none are free.  There are of course the Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoomail systems but they are not the standard Pop3/SMTP accounts but Webmail Accounts.

Regards

[quote user="Colin"]
Can anyone help please? I am trying to use thunderbird for emails, went through the set as shown on the screen and can receive mails with no problems.....but as soon a I try to send one, it just gives an error message and says it cannot find the server and the configuration must be wrong. Have checked and checked, i can only send emails through the Orange mailer....must have doen something wrong, but what?

Colin

[/quote]

From the "Open Source Articles" site instructions for installing Thunderbird:

No description available

Thanks,

Got that far before, but although I completed the smpt box in the set up wizard, still doesn't seem to be able to contact the orange server.

We can send mails from the orange mail site, but by using Thunderbird.It just says can't find smpt server.....

Colin

[quote user="Colin"]

Got that far before, but although I completed the smpt box in the set up wizard, still doesn't seem to be able to contact the orange server.

We can send mails from the orange mail site, but by using Thunderbird.It just says can't find smpt server.....

[/quote]

Don't want to seem pedantic but, if you are inputting smpt instead of smtp, then you will continue to have problems.

I admit I don't know much about Thunderbird but I do have a friend who uses Orange and Thunderbird and he sends and receives (to me!) with no problem, so, have confidence, there is a solution out there...

Sue [:)]

Hi Colin,

To echo Sue, are you sure the mail server setting in your account are correct.   Simple Mail Transfer Protocol server:    smtp.orange.fr

Your incoming mail will be whatever the thunderbird settings dictate.

Regards

[quote user="Colin"]
Thanks,

Colin
[/quote]

What port did you specify for your outgoing mail?  Did you try port 587?  You cannot use port 25 for this.