VOIP lesson please

Hi,

I finally have my mac osx version 10.4.11 wifi up and running and my orange livebox is working with a phone plugged in and I can make calls and receive calls. What I need to know now is (I'm not the slightest bit technical so need simple instructions in english!) how do I make free calls to the UK using VOIP as I haven't a clue what to do next and am paying for these calls at the moment at around 25 extra euros a month which is stupid I know!

Any help gratefully received, and thanks in advance.... Chris

If you are using the phone plugged into the Livebox to make your calls, then you are already making voice calls over internet protocol (VOIP).

It will depend on your internet package as to what charges (if any) will be made for the calls.

You will need to see what you are paying for from the Orange website.

Regards - Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. The package I have is 39.90 per month which should include calls to europe. My last phone bill lists my calls to the UK and the charge for each call.

From what I've read I thought that calls over the internet are received at the other end by an 09 number I know this is not the case as my family tell me it's my 02 number. According to my contract I do have an 09 number.

Oh dear I'm a bit confused! Chris

[quote user="knee gel"] The package I have is 39.90 per month which should include calls to europe. My last phone bill lists my calls to the UK and the charge for each call.

From what I've read I thought that calls over the internet are received at the other end by an 09 number I know this is not the case as my family tell me it's my 02 number. According to my contract I do have an 09 number. [/quote]

Have you checked 192.168.1.1 ( admin admin unless you have changed them) to see that the phone over Internet is enabled?

Sue

[quote user="knee gel"]Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. The package I have is 39.90 per month which should include calls to europe. My last phone bill lists my calls to the UK and the charge for each call. From what I've read I thought that calls over the internet are received at the other end by an 09 number I know this is not the case as my family tell me it's my 02 number. According to my contract I do have an 09 number. Oh dear I'm a bit confused! Chris[/quote]

One little thing I noticed.

"The package I have is 39.90 per month which should include calls to europe"

I presume that you are on the Net package with no FT telephone line anymore. BUT...

that includes VOIP calls to France only. If you want inclusive VOIP calls elsewhere you have to pay 7 euros per month extra for the 30 minutes to mobiles and international calls option. see here for more info

http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/residentiel/hd/hdnetTriple.aspx?searchTab=2 it says

"le téléphone par internet pour appeler en illimité les fixes de France métropolitaine"

also further down the page under "complétez votre offre" there is "option Mobiles + international illimité"

This might explain why you are paying for the UK calls, especially if you are paying 39.90 + 3 for the livebox but not paying 7 euros on top.

If this is case, I would go into an Orange shop or contact them by phone and explain that you would like to add the option to benefit from the Internaitonal calls.

Danny

Hi Danny, I think you have answered my question. As you say, I am on the net package without the FT line ie 39.90 + 3.00 for the livebox but when sold this option I wasn't told about the 7 euros extra option which is interesting as it was orange that I spoke to by phone that recommended I move from the 29.90 to the 39.90 package as she said it would be much cheaper for me to ring family in the UK with this option - pity she didn't mention the 7 euros at the same time! I've look at the link you posted - thanks. I'm usually on the phone for at least 3-4 hours per month to a UK landline (don't ring mobile phones in the UK).

Thanks for your help a godsend, I've been sitting here all morning twiddling with wires and translating french docs getting through numerous cuppas and getting thorougly piddled off so thanks again....Chris

Chris, it is unlimited calls to many countries including the UK and also 30 minutes a month to French mobiles only. Any other calls you make - to other mobiles or to countries not on the list will be charged for. I would be surprised if they don't allow you to add the option. Especially if you complain that it was sold to you including free calls to the UK.

good luck

Danny

Hi Danny,

I've just been looking at 'mon compte internet' and under 'consulter/modifier' I appear to have added the 7 euros option ! I have just received a confirmation email so hopefully that is it but then my french isn't that good so I think it's wait and see otherwise. Incidentally the offer has a 50% reduction until 1st April if anyone else is thinking of adding one of these options.

thanks again, Chris

I'm probably missing something here but if you are calling UK for say 4 hours a month, wouldn't you be better off with Skype?

4 hours to landlines would cost €4.08  (1.7 cents per minute)

In fact, for your €7 you get around 6.5 hours at Skype rates and not locked in to a contract.