How does it work?

VOIP devices connect with a central server (eg operated by Skype, Voipcheap or whoever) and log in to it, providing the server with the IP address of the device or the device running the software. That address is then used to route incoming calls to your computer or phone (bear in mind that if you use a phone, it is the box that you plug it into - which may also be a router or ADSL/cable modem - that will talk to the server)

Regards

Pickles

So being with Orange the call goes to the Orange server. From there is goes to my router in to which I plug my phone. So how does it know where my router is if I am only using the cable from the exchange to my house as effectivly a network cable, is it because of the IP address of my router or the IP address of the VOIP part of my router or by the NIC number?

[quote user="Quillan"]So being with Orange the call goes to the Orange server. From there it goes to my router in to which I plug my phone. So how does it know where my router is if I am only using the cable from the exchange to my house as effectivly a network cable, is it because of the IP address of my router or the IP address of the VOIP part of my router or by the NIC number?[/quote]

Your router has an IP address which will be used by the Orange server as the destination for the VOIP packets.

Regards

Pickles

Not sure it's as clear cut as that Pickles. That would infer and depend on a static IP address which the majority of BB subscribers do not have.

Many seem to think they do but in reality, although they might hang onto the same one for very long periods, it will not be a true static one which is exclusively and permanent assigned to their connection and not be changed at any time without notice. Normally a static IP address must be requested and often paid for.

As a contemporary example my IP address with Teleconnect had remained the same almost since I started with them over 2 years ago @ 213.36.192.235. Since the well publicised and infamous recent upgrade it has changed to something entirely different in the range 95.170.xx.xxx.

There are different methods of call direction depending on the type of service. Stand alone services such as Skype and Vonage for instance rely on user ID'd and a login procedure, ISPs on the other hand can tie the service to the subscribers phone number.

If you really want to read up on it Quillan crack open a bottle of wine and Google 'voip how does it work' [:)]

[quote user="ErnieY"]Not sure it's as clear cut as that Pickles. That would infer and depend on a static IP address which the majority of BB subscribers do not have.[/quote]

I was sticking with the "O" level explanation rather than the "A" level version. All systems depend on some kind of polling, even Skype & Vonage, which helps them cope with non-static IP addresses. I was actually expecting a follow-up question that would clarify why Quillan had asked the initial question and what level of response he was looking for, as I am frequently accused (though not necessarily here) of providing far too much detail when what was required was a simple "yes", "no" or "well, sort of".

You make an interesting point about tying to the subscriber's phone number. I was doing some digging around and found that even where the VOIP is being provided by the ISP (eg BT in the UK) it seems that it is still using the IP address of the end user equipment - which MIGHT mean that one could "log into" ones BT (or whoevers) VOIP number from another location in the same way that you can with the Skype/Vonage/Voipcheap/etc.

Regards

Pickles

I can understand a DHCP server but there must be some form of common point, could it be that the DHCP server knows the NIC of the box.

The reason I am asking is because I wondered if I took my Livebox to another persons house who has the same service as me and swap them over then phone myself using a mobile will I get the call via my Livebox but in another persons house?

The service is linked to your username and possibly phone number, so no the NIC in this case is not relevent, however the ip addressing uses mac addresses within its protocols as they represent a physical address rather than the logical one that ip is. 

Regards

Simon

Quillan, It is different to other VOIP services like Skype etc. If you used Skype and want to use it elsewhere then I can't see any problem. As long as you have a fast enough connection it should work.

But... I am pretty sure your Orange VOIP will not work on another phone line as you will not have your ADSL service working and it uses your ADSL account on your phone line. I may be wrong but of course there is one simple way to find out!

Sorry, I don't really know about the technical side.

Danny

I think you may be right. I spoke to the tech guys at Orange and they said no problem but I need to speak to the commercial guys for a price. They say it can't be done and want to sell me a 'dongle' to use anywhere in France. The problem is we download huge amounts of data every day (well compaired to normal users), about 1.5GB and then upload about 700MB so a 'dongle' is out of the question, far to expensive.

I think the only way to prove one way or another is to take my Livebox to my mates house and try it, unfortunatly he is away for the next 6 weeks so it will have to wait.

Thanks anyway.

[quote user="Quillan"]I think you may be right. I spoke to the tech guys at Orange and they said no problem but I need to speak to the commercial guys for a price. They say it can't be done and want to sell me a 'dongle' to use anywhere in France. The problem is we download huge amounts of data every day (well compaired to normal users), about 1.5GB and then upload about 700MB so a 'dongle' is out of the question, far to expensive.

I think the only way to prove one way or another is to take my Livebox to my mates house and try it, unfortunatly he is away for the next 6 weeks so it will have to wait.[/quote]

Don't bother taking the livebox to your friend's house: it will NOT log into your Orange VOIP or ADSL account. What I was getting at was that it is in theory possible to log into even ISP-provided VOIP accounts such as Orange from other locations, but it isn't as simple as taking your Livebox with you: you would have to be MUCH more cunning than that!

Why not use a third-party VOIP provider and then use a WiFi phone? Then, wherever you have a Wi-Fi connection (including friends' locations if they let you on their networks) you will be connected to "your" VOIP service with its own number.

Regards

Pickles

Quillan, you started off asking about VoIP but now talk of huge rates of data transfer. Is this a case of not asking the right question ?

It might be useful if you told us what exactly is it that you trying to do.

My understanding is that you want to use your Orange A/C for VoIP, and now data transfer, from a different location and hence phone number.

Simplz.. I am planning to spend the winter, well 3 months of it down on the coast because its warmer. I want to take my Orange package (phone+internet+TV with no FT bill) with me and keep the same phone number so I can take B&B bookings. I don't really care about the TV bit. The area code is the same as here. We also move massive audio files around as part of a different business and are connected to clients via Windows Messenger for about 10hrs a day and we have no choice in the matter. Therefore a dongle and laptop is not a solution because its too limited for our particular use (25 Euros for 6 hours) and unlimited is 39.99 for 24 months contract and we only want 3 months.

[quote user="Quillan"]Simplz.. I am planning to spend the winter, well 3 months of it down on the coast because its warmer. I want to take my Orange package (phone+internet+TV with no FT bill) with me and keep the same phone number so I can take B&B bookings. I don't really care about the TV bit. The area code is the same as here. We also move massive audio files around as part of a different business and are connected to clients via Windows Messenger for about 10hrs a day and we have no choice in the matter. Therefore a dongle and laptop is not a solution because its too limited for our particular use (25 Euros for 6 hours) and unlimited is 39.99 for 24 months contract and we only want 3 months.[/quote]

If the place that you are moving to for the winter does not have a broadband internet connection then I do not think that there is anything that you can do. It does seem possible to get a dial-up access (ie 56Kbs max) internet connection, but this really isn't any good for messenger or large audio files. WRT the phone, you can just forward all calls to the number of the place that you are staying. If the place that you are moving to DOES have a broadband connection then you can log in to your messenger service with no problem.

I suspect that this is not what you wanted to read. If the place that you are going to is not isolated, perhaps a neighbour might have a Wi-Fi broadband that they could be persuaded to share?

Regards

Pickles

See, I knew there was a completely different question here than 'how does VoIP work', we could have saved a dozen posts beating about the bush [:D][:D][:D]

Frankly I can't see how what you want to do is going to be possible. Your Internet needs are actually quite easy and just a question of money, phone though is a different matter and what I would suggest is that you set up a personal number with Skype and either add that to wherever you advertise your B&B of have calls to the regular number forwarded to it.

I did also want to know how it works, what identity is used to make the phone ring. I assume its my login programed in to the router?

I can get JUST an ADSL line for 24.99 a month they tell me with no FT phone but there needs to be a physical phone cable to the house or apartment. We can just pay for 3 months and cancel at the end with no penalty.

I think call forwarding to my mobile will be the answer.

Thanks anyway for the help.