Sky remote control

Our remote control for the Sky box has suddenly stopped working. I have changed the batteries to no effect. We can change channels using the controls on the Sky box. I have Googled the problem and read various suggestions for re-setting the remote, but all the solutions presume that the infrared on the remote is working, which ours isn't. Has it died permanently, or can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

(I'm finding it frustrating not being able to get the TV Guide up on the screen!)

It sounds as if you have tried all you can. They don't last for ever, and it's easy enough to get a replacement. If you are not in England then you can find them for sale on Ebay. Some, not all, sellers will post to France. The more 'reputable' retailers tend not to send anything Sky-related overseas in case it upsets Sky, who are rather protective about their licensing agrement that supposedly limits reception to UK and Ireland. www.satcure.co.uk will send to France.

Better to buy a genuine Sky one if you can find it, as some of the copies are not very good. Make sure you order either a normal Sky, or a Sky+/HD remote as required, because the two are not interchangeable.

Never tried it but there is a reset procedure for the remote:

You'll probably lose any TV control you may have set up but you should be able to redo that afterwards.

Reset your Sky remote control to operate your Sky box:

Before proceeding further place the Sky remote control on a flat surface such as the floor or a coffee table.

1. Point your Sky remote control away from your TV and press tv.

2. Press select and the blue button together until the light at the top of your Sky remote control flashes twice.

3. Press select.

4. Press sky, then point your Sky remote control at your TV.

5. Place your Sky remote control on a flat surface such as the floor or a coffee table.

6. Press tv.

7. Press select and the yellow button together until the light at the top of your Sky remote control flashes twice.

8. Press (number) 1.

9. Press select and the red light will flash twice.

10. Press sky to return to Sky mode.

Thanks Will, that was not wanted I wanted to hear, but I think you might be right! Getting a new one is not too much of a problem as even if I can't order for delivery to France we have friends coming over soon who could bring one. Thanks for the link too.

AnOther, thanks for the information - I had found that when I Googled, but as the light on the remote is not flashing it won't help me in this instance.

I have a "One for all" URC-7556 which was I think around 30 Euros from LeClerc. It operates my Sky + box, television sound system, LG hard drive recorder and Blue-ray DVD. Mostly you input 4 digit codes but it will also learn functions by mating it with an original remote. It also accepts macros so one button will, for example, turn on the sky box, tele and sound system. I do sometimes have to dig out the original remotes for some things and I occasionally forget which function I've coded to which key but on the whole the coffee table is much clearer!

This is what you are looking for I think http://www.skyinfrance.co.uk/category-accessories_22.htm. It's a legal, English company here in France. They installed our Sky + HD and I would recomend them to anyone. We had a problem with our new Sky box on a Friday, we had a temporary replacement within an hour of reporting the problem. It was a temp replacement because the guy didn't have an HD box in his van and we had a new HD box by the following Tuesday, delivered, fitted, setup and checked to be working correctly!

Very good service in my opinion!

Sorry Anton, we don't have that set any more, it was difficult to find a code at the time as I remember.  I just happened to dig out the info on TV's last night as the proline's replacement has lost a button this year and I thought it may still be under guarantee.

The problem is not about being able to control his TV with the Sky remote, but with getting it to control the Sky box. New handsets are not expensive so buying one is the simplest solution, especially if friends are visiting from the UK. They are freely available from the likes of Comet and even Asda.