French equivalent of "freeview" - simple answers only please

Most TV's sold these days will be multi standard and will work virtually anywhere.

The menu option you mention may just be a language settingd and do nothing else. What you need is the setting for PAL/NTSC/SECAM the latter being the standard in which French TV is broadcast.

Some sets do have a digital Freeview receiver built in but there are several variables and we would need to know the make and model of your new TV to tell you exactly what it is capable of.

[quote user="AnOther"]Most TV's sold these days will be multi standard and will work virtually anywhere.

The menu option you mention may just be a language settingd and do nothing else. What you need is the setting for PAL/NTSC/SECAM the latter being the standard in which French TV is broadcast.

Some sets do have a digital Freeview receiver built in but there are several variables and we would need to know the make and model of your new TV to tell you exactly what it is capable of.

[/quote]

Its a Samsung series 4 with freeview  LE32B450C4.  Thanks if you can help

In France the model is listed as being not only TNT compatiable but also TNT HD. UK Freeview HD has not been switched on anywhere so I could not find any mention of it in the UK specefication. The TV will definitely work as a TNT receiver, it may well work in HD, but subject in both cases to a good signal (nearly wrote decent ).

The only issues with UK freeview TVs and boxes and TNT that I am aware of some very early UK Freeview boxes will not decode and store the full range of TNT channels.

I wish it would stop raining so I could go and plant the remaing shrubs and trees in the garden. Otherwise I may be reduced to watching Homes under the Hammer. Still it is improving the quality of my reading no end - France the Dark Years by Julian Jackson and The Worlds Flat by Thomas Friedman (don't worry it is an economic metaphor ) so far in November

Stan maybe had better not read this next bit, and I'm thinking aloud here a bit.

I've just looked at the spec for that TV (via a sale on Amazon.fr).   Indeed it is TNT HD......   but............

I can see that this may in the future become a source of confusion and maybe disappointment.   The spec says that it is DVB-T compliant.    Fair enough....   at the moment.

When the HD Freeview broadcasts start in Britain  (imminently in some areas) they will use DVB-T2 and MPEG4.  Which is why as far as I know you can't actually buy a suitable set in Britain for love nor money at the moment  (unless pachapapa knows otherwise!).

I'd need to find out whether there are any plans to change the French spec to DVB-T2 eventually.    The reason for doing so is to cram in more channels.

If that Samsung (and probably every TNT HD set sold thus far in France) are DVB-T only,   then France is going to end up like Britain with DAB radio,  ie with millions of sets in the public domain that can't be easily upgraded and impede further progress.

Helas,  c'est interessant,  and I don't know the answer.......

I am stuck at this point as.

http://www.samsung.com/fr/consumer/tv-audio-video/tv/tv-lcd/LE32B450C4WXXC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

as the TV is described as HD but not HD ready. The PDF file reader you need to read the manuals in English or French requires Windows XP which I do not have installed on the workhorse PC I use most of the time

Brief look through the fairly bad tempered discusion below suggest set is likely to be of use in France than UK.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/855729-samsung-le46a786-vs-le46a956-same-panel-not-2.html

I think "c'est exact" Anton.    You just wouldn't want to buy one in France and then expect it to pick up Freeview HD in Britain.

It's very interesting though,  'cos I'm fairly certain I read that the satellite  HD broadcasts would move to DVB-S2 and MPEG4 when the transponder became fully loaded,  and you would think that the French would have wanted to leave their options open to carry as much payload on TNT mulitplex R5 as possible.   

Maybe they'll just work on the basis that every one needs to buy a new box every few years,   and maybe that will be the fate of DAB in Britain,   with something else (requiring a new radio) arriving as a fait accompli in a few years.

Good for the manufacturers.....

My father bought an 8 track player off a Guildford University student,  (long story),  and then got me to install it in the car.    Aged 13 it was beyond me to do it "properly" (and there was no available slot for the player in the dashboard) but the back parcel shelf of a Maxi (I think it was) made a convenient home for it,  along with two loudspeakers,   and as 8 track cartridges played indefintely it wasn't too difficult to insert what one wanted to hear into the machine before departure.

Some of you may be able to see what's coming.........

My mother related (with freely flowing tears on several occasions) the story of how they drove to Southampton to catch a Townsend Thorenson ferry to Le Havre.   They'd done that many times,   but somehow contrived to become lost in Southampton.     Every time they opened a window to seek directions,   they were overwhelmed by a Beethoven-esque crescendo,  often con fuoco,  (my father -  loving Beethoven - had the complete symphonies as the only item in the cartridge repetoire),   rendering any conversation with "les riverains de Southampton" impossible,    and their tour round the seedier bits of Southampton would have been prolongued indefinitely if my mother hadn't in desperation pulled wires,   any wires,  out until the damned thing ground to a halt....

I've always detested the Beethoven symphonies,  she ended up hating them too........

Typical of this part of the forum.  I log off yesterday thinking my question has been answered and next day!!!!!

I have sky freesat and a sky gnome for getting the radio in another room.  My existing ancient tv gets about 4 french channels through an indoor aerial with booster.  It seems a shame being in France and not watching any French TV as that must help with my language skills.

I will at least try to set it up now.  If it changes in a couple of years - thats just about par for the course.  I will report on here on Monday how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

Just out of interest I got it for £314 from Amazon and I believe the equivalent in France is about €440.

My Lotus Elan waiting patiently for me to restore her has an 8 track player and an only slightly more modern Pye cassette player, there are a couple of cartridges as well, Isaac Hayes and Curtis Mayfield IIRC unless the mice have taken a liking to them, they have already shredded and transported two entire Sunday newspapers from the footwells to the boot.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

Typical of this part of the forum.  I log off yesterday thinking my question has been answered and next day!!!!!

[/quote][:D] Serves you right for putting "Simple answers only please" into the subject box, Stan.  Any thread, on any  board on here which asks for a short or simple answer, always goes on for at least 5 pages and circulates several times round the houses.[:-))]