Laptop screen blank

I think the screen on my laptop is cactussed.

I let it on last night and this morning the screen was black. Nothing could revive it so I restarted. Got the screen back for a minute or so then it went black again.

I could just make out the icons and msn very faintly once it had finished starting up, so I am wondering if it's just the back light that's gone.

Anyone had any experience with this before?

I'm lucky that I have an old steam powered laptop from 7 years ago, so at least I have access to something til I get my main one sorted.

If you have access to a desktop with a screen try pluging the screen in to the back of your laptop. If it works then your screen has probably gone. Didn't close it with a pen or something resting on the keyboard by chance? It used to be that the screen is the most expensive part of a laptop so when it goes its not worth repairing (unless its under warranty). Mind you if an external monitor works at least you an use it to back up your data.

I tried plugging into another monitor but nothing came up. I think you have to configure something in display properties in order to get it to display on an external monitor.

The laptop was left on throughout the night, so I think the screen has burnt out.

No worries about getting my data, I'll be able to get access to it over my network.

Might have a look on ebay and see if there's any screens for sale.

Unfortunately, it's not under warranty, it's over 2 years old.

Been considering getting a new lappy for a while anyway, looks like this may be the perfect excuse.

Any recommendations for a lappy under 400 euros?

[quote user="Richard"]

The laptop was left on throughout the night, so I think the screen has burnt out.

[/quote]

That shouldn't have been a problem. Surely it should have gone into  "Hibernate mode" or the screensave come into play.

As to plugging in another screen...don't know what operating system you are  using but try right clicking your mouse anywhere on your Desktop and have a look at the Gaphic Properties.

btw, I presume you've rebooted?

Um, I've been leaving it on a lot lately, it has been doing a great deal of work. It's pretty much been going 24 hours a day, although when not in use, the screen saver cuts in.

Only hibernates when I drop the lid.

Using XP. As I can't see anything, right clicking at graphic properties won't help :(

Yep, rebooted and the screen comes up for around 20 seconds before blanking out. And when I do have visual for those ew seconds, there is a lot of red.

Hope this helps.

There are two common methods of activating an external screen. The first is with the laptop turned off, i.e not in sleep mode but actually off, try pressing the on/off button when its running and count to 10 or more. Connect the external monitor and turn the monitor on first then the laptop. The alternative is using the 'Fn' key on the laptop when its running along with the suitably designated key. As an example on a Dell I have its the 'Fn' key located down on the bottom left and the 'F8' key which says 'CRT/LCD', the writing on both keys are in purple.

If that does not work then there is not much to do really, the video is part of the mother board but then it could be the power supply, basically anything.

Your laptop has a LCD screen so 'burn out' is not a option.

Ha ha! Success. Thanks Quillan the Fn F8 worked and I got my second monitor back. Just took a bit of guess work to drag the display properties window over to that second screen, so I could cancel the extend to other screen unction. I can at least use my monitor with the laptop now.

Don't think I'll bother with a new laptop now, I'll use the monitor with it until I save up for a new one.

Checked the connections, but it's a no go.

Found some screens on ebay for about 100 quid, but I also need a new battery for it too really. So am looking at late 100's inc delivery just for those two parts.

It's done well, it's worked hard the past 2.5 years, so now I've bought myself a new bottom of the range computer.

I'll take it apart and sell the hard drive, dvd rom, case and other bits seperatly on ebay.

If anyone needs spares for a Dell Inspiron 1501, make me an offer.